Chapter 26

The timer on my phone went off and Roy and I both stiffened. We looked at each other, exchanging a nervous look.

"Do you want to go by yourself or do you want to look together?" Roy asked.

"Together please."

Roy took my hand in his and gently pulled me off the bed and into the bathroom. I immediately felt sick to my stomach at the idea of looking at the results.

"Breathe, baby. Breathe." Roy said, his thumbs rubbing soothing circles on my hips.

I took a deep breath and reached for the first test. I picked it up, covering the little window with my thumb.

"Ready?" I asked.

"Ready." Roy said confidently.

I moved my thumb and looked down.

"Positive." Roy breathed.

I picked up the other two tests and found the same result on both. Roy's face broke into a grin and his hands found their way to my abdomen. He knelt down and lifted my shirt, gently kissing my stomach. I ran my fingers through his hair, smiling down at him as tears rolled down my cheeks.

"Why are you crying?" Roy asked, looking up at me.

"I'm happy." I said, pulling him up to my level and kissing him sweetly.

"You should call your mom and see when she's coming by with Riley." Roy said after a few minutes.

I nodded and pulled out my phone, dialing my mom's number.

"Hey, Mom. It's Emma. I was just calling to see when you're coming by with Riley. Okay. Thanks. I love you too."

"What'd she say?" Roy asked as I ended the call.

"She's almost here. About 5 minutes away." I said, shoving my phone into my pocket.

"Do you want to tell her that you're pregnant?" Roy asked.

"No, not yet. I don't want to tell anyone for a little while." I said, rubbing my stomach absentmindedly.

Roy nodded in agreement as the doorbell rang. Roy raced downstairs while I tossed the tests in the trash. After I cleaned the countertop, I went downstairs and hugged my mom tightly. Her eyes were red and puffy and she had tearstains on her cheeks. I took her to the kitchen and sat her at the breakfast bar while I ran a washcloth under cool water.

"I'm leaving Starling." my mom said as she pressed the washcloth to her face.

"When? For how long?" I asked.

"I booked a flight two weeks from now. I'm moving to Europe."

"Mom, what are you thinking? Dad hasn't even been dead 24 hours and you're already leaving everything behind?"

"Emma, it isn't like that. I can't go back to that house. I can't go back to the office. I can barely walk down the street without being reminded of him. It hurts too much."

"I know it does. I feel it too. But you can't just run away from this." I said.

"I've already arranged a job in London. I'm leaving you the house. I'm not taking anything besides my clothes and a few small items. The rest is yours. I've already transferred the deed to be in your name."

"Slow down, Mom. Please." I begged, my head spinning.

"I'm sorry, Emma. I love you and I want what's best for you, but I just can't stay here anymore. I'm sorry."