Chapter 24

"You found my dad?"

"Yes. We found him in an abandoned apartment complex in the Glades. He was taken by a group of men who worked at a competing law firm that your father's firm just bought out. He's in the ICU in critical condition."

I couldn't say anything. My father had just been conducting business. He didn't do anything wrong.

"Emma, are you there?"

"Yeah, sorry. I'm here. I just don't know what to say."

"We have the men who kidnapped him in custody. They're going away for a long time. I know you and him aren't on the best of terms right now, but I really think you should go visit your father. He needs you right now." Captain Lance said.

"He wasn't there when I needed him the most. Why should I be there for him now?" I asked.

"Emma, sweetie, there's something you should know. When we were interrogating the men who took Mark, they had videoed them torturing him. He kept repeating 'Please don't kill me. I have a wife and daughter. My daughter needs me. I can't leave this earth until she knows I love her. Please tell my daughter I love her and I'm sorry.' These men were beating him within an inch of his life and all he wanted was enough time to call you and tell you he loved you. I can't force you to go see him, but I really think you should. I've got to get back to work, but know that you can always call me if you have questions or just need to talk."

I thanked Captain Lance and ended the call, shoving my phone back into my pocket. I filled Roy in on what Captain Lance had said as we finished our drinks.

"Wow. That's a lot to process. What can I do to help?" Roy asked.

"Just knowing that you're here for me is enough. If there comes a time when I need someone to talk to about it, I'll let you know."

"I love you." Roy whispered, kissing my forehead.

"I love you too."

We tossed our cups and headed back towards Oliver and Felicity's house. When we got there, Roy filled them in on the news about my dad while I unstrapped Riley from the carrier and made her a bottle.

"Hey." I heard Felicity say quietly.

I looked up from Riley and saw her standing in the doorway of the living room, holding a small box.

"Hi." I replied, motioning for her to come sit next to me on the couch.

"I was saving this for your birthday, but I think it might hold more value now." she said, taking Riley from me and handing me the box.

I carefully tore away the wrapping paper, revealing a small, wooden jewelry box. I opened it and found a necklace. There was a dime-sized pendant on a thin silver chain. There was an 'R' engraved on the front of the pendant and a tiny arrow etched into the back.

"Felicity, it's perfect." I said, pulling it free of the cushioning.

"The 'R' can stand for both Riley and Roy and the arrow symbolizes your strength and heroism." Felicity explained, helping me to put it on.

The pendant rested softly on my chest and I hugged Felicity tightly.

"Thank you so much."

"You're welcome."

We both headed back into the kitchen where Roy and Oliver were deep in conversation. Felicity washed Riley's bottle while I packed the rest of her things in the baby bag.

"I'm sorry to interrupt, but I need to get going. If you want to stay and keep talking, I can just take a taxi and you can take my car." I said to Roy.