Chapter Nineteen

When we got back to the lair, I undid Riley's carseat from the base, being careful not to wake her. Felicity took her from me so that I could help carry a few other things.

"You should bring her by the hospital and make sure she's doing okay. You may be able to get a medical background on her as well just to see if she has any allergies or anything like that." Laurel said, handing me my quiver.

"Yeah, I was planning to swing by the hospital to see Emma. I'll take her with me." I said, removing the rest of my suit and putting it away.

After I had changed back into my regular clothes, I found Felicity sitting in her favorite chair, making faces down at Riley.

"Is she awake?" I asked, walking over to them.

"Yeah. She has the most beautiful blue eyes. They look almost exactly like yours." she said, smiling up at me.

I looked down at Riley and couldn't help but smile. She was beautiful. Felicity was right. Her eyes did look like mine.

"Do you want me to hold on to her so you can go see Emma?"

"No, I was just going to take her with me and see if I can get a checkup for her and maybe some medical background." I said.

"That sounds like a good plan. You should bring her by tonight and give Oliver and I an update on Emma. Why don't you have dinner with us tonight?" she offered.

"That sounds like a really good idea. But maybe you guys should come over to my place. I could use some help setting up some baby stuff for Riley and getting her all settled in." I suggested.

"Sure. We'd love to help you in any way that we can. We'll meet you at your place at 6. Oliver and I can pick up Big Belly Burger on our way over." Felicity said, handing Riley to me.

I thanked her and headed back out to my car. Diggle had moved the carseat base over from the van into the backseat of my SUV. I snapped Riley's carseat in and buckled her in carefully.

She fell back asleep on our way over to the hospital and slept all the way up to Emma's room.

"Who is this little sweetheart?" Emma's nurse asked as we came into the room.

"This is Riley. She's my foster daughter. I'm in the process of adopting her." I said, unbuckling her from her carseat and setting it aside before sitting back in the chair next to Emma's bed.

"She certainly is precious. Is there anything I can get for you two?" she asked.

"Actually, is there a pediatrician available that could give her a quick checkup? And is there any way for me to get a copy of Riley's medical records. Her birthmother is dead and so is her father. And the father's girlfriend just went to jail." I said.

"Of course. I'll page pediatrics and get someone up here to check on her. And I will personally print you a copy of her medical records. Just give me a few minutes. What's her last name and date of birth?"

"It's Anderson. Riley Grace Anderson. I don't know her date of birth."

"I'll see what I can do." the nurse said, shooting me one last smile before leaving the room.

I sat there with Emma, holding my sleeping daughter, imagining what life would be like when Emma woke up and saw Riley.

"Mr. Harper?" a voice inquired.

I looked up and saw a doctor standing in the doorway.

"Yes?"

"I'm Dr. Andrews. I'm a pediatric resident. Nurse Hailey said that you requested a checkup for a Riley Anderson?"