Chapter 1: Heart of Glass

Everyone was running. Screaming. Fighting. Scared.

Fire was spreading. Burning. Trapping. Killing.

The air was thick, dark and black. Screams were heard, booming to their ears, and yet seemed so far away. Houses were falling. Crashing down to the now spoiled earth. People were screaming and running, grasping the hands of the little children, trying to get out.

It had all happened so fast. It was just a normal, beautiful night. Me and Liesel had just been tucked in bed, when suddenly daddy had burst in the room and shouted, “Get the kids! We’re under attack!”

Mommy had quickly pulled us out of bed and carried Liesel while she gripped my hand. She led us out of the back door just as our house caught fire. I heard all the shouts and my eyes burned with the view.

“Mommy..” Liesel whined while I stepped closer to mommy.

“Shh..” She said. “It’s going to be alright.” She looked at me and gripped my hand harder. “Skye honey, don’t let go okay? Stay with me. I’m going to get us out of here.”

I nodded slowly and asked, “But what about daddy?!” I was filled with horrifying thoughts of what could happen to daddy.

“He’s going to be okay.” Mommy said reassuringly. “He’s going to help bring the other people out of here. We’re going to meet him later, okay honey?”

I nodded again and she started leading us to the crowded streets. I glanced behind me for a second and my eyes brimmed with tears at the sight of our home. Our home burning. Our home destroyed, crashing down. Mommy pulled me away from the running crowd and into the dark forest.

“Mommy where are we going?” I asked with a shiver. “I’m scared.”

“Shh.. Don’t make a sound.” She whispered. “Just follow me. Quick.”

I held onto mommy’s hand and we both ran. I could hear the shouts and the sight of the town fade as we went deeper in. We both continued running until I tripped. Then everything went black.

_________________________________________________________________________

The light went back and Liesel was peering at me sitting at the edge of an unknown bed. “Mommy!” She screamed. “Skye awake!”

I heard the soft thundering footsteps of mommy as she came rushing in. She touched my throbbing forehead, that was bandaged, and handed me a drink. I sipped the drink and asked, “Mommy? What happened?”

“You tripped sweetie.” She said soothingly. “Don’t worry. Go back to sleep.”

I lied back down on the bed and looked around. It was a small room that had wooden walls and floor. A small window was beside the bed I was lying on and there was a cupboard facing the bed. “Mommy, where are we?” I asked.

“We’re in a house dear. In the forest.” She said stroking my hair. Liesel was still sitting in the edge of the bed. “Don’t worry.”

“Daddy?”

“He's outside!” Liesel answered.

“Yes he is.” Mommy smiled tiredly at.

I gently sunk back to the bed and sighed. At least my family was safe.

“Sleep.” Mommy instructed. “You need to rest.”

I nodded and fell asleep in an instant.

_________________________________________________________________________

I woke up hours later to Liesel’s scream and daddy’s pleading voice. Mommy and Liesel barged in my room seconds later and she dragged Liesel to the window.

“Quick! Jump out!” She said.

“What? Mommy-“ I started.

“Shh.. No time. Go!”

I quickly climbed out the window when I heard a harsh unknown voice yelling and daddy’s steel voice.

I helped Liesel out the window and looked back to the window. “Aren’t you coming mommy?”

“Sweetie..” Her voice was shaking. “Skylar honey, you have to trust me okay?” She held me from the other side of the window. “Now you go. Straight ahead and then when you see the mid point tree that is marked with a small red ‘X’, go left.”

I nodded silently.

“After you turn left, go straight and you’ll see a city.”

I nodded again and the door behind mommy banged.

“Listen carefully now. You know uncle Henry right?” She said hurriedly. I nodded, “But why-”

“No time for that. You go to the city, and ask for Henry Veirtel. Got it? Ask anyone. They should know.”

I nodded. Henry Veirtel. I hugged Liesel closer to me.

“Good.” She hugged me. “Take care of your sister okay?” She whispered, tears threatening to fall. “I love you.”

“Mommy?” Liesel asked from beside me.

“Hey sweetie.” She hugged her. “Listen, you have to be a good girl okay? Listen to your sister and don’t separate.” She said the last bit to the both of us. We both nodded and she kissed both our foreheads. “Good. I love you.” She said to Liesel and then looked at the both of us, “I love you both, and so do your father okay?”

Liesel looked confused for a second and asked, “Aren’t you and daddy coming with us?”

“Not now sweetie.. Not now..” She shook her head. “Now go! Both of you! And don’t turn back! You’ll be safe with uncle Henry.” She pushed us to go ahead just as the doors burst open to show three built men. I looked away when one of them grasp mommy.

I held onto Liesel’s hand and we both started running. I heard a faint sound of daddy’s loud voice and mommy’s scream. Then a gunshot. Silence. No. It couldn’t be.

“Mommy! Daddy!” Liesel shouted, but I covered her mouth and whispered, “Shh.. Not now Lis.. We have to go remember? Mommy told us too.. We have to go find uncle Henry.” I tried so hard to not let my tears fall. Liesel looked scared and so was I. She nodded with tears brimming in her eyes. The both of us started running again. I turned back to see the three men running at us. They had spotted us! I pulled Liesel and ran faster, until Liesel slipped. The men were getting closer. Then everything went black.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*BEEP*BEEP*BEEP*BEEP*BEEP*

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

“NO!” I heard myself scream as I woke up with a start from both the alarm clock and the horrible nightmare. I groaned and turned off the alarm clock. I can’t believe it’s that dream again. It’s been 10 years since that faithful day. Liesel and I were living with uncle Henry now. We’re both safe. I groaned. When will the dreams stop. I glanced at the clock beside me. 7:28 a.m. “First day for my new school.” I muttered silently and got up to do my morning routine.

____________________________________________________________________________________

A.N. Hey readers! This is Lily (MoonlightGlow) here! The first chapter of the still-unamed project is now up! If you don't know about the unamed project yet, I'll give you a brief introduction about it. So Elle (SparksFlyUp) and I, decided to write a story in which I will write all the odd chapters and she will write all the even chapters. These chapters will not be read by anyone, and I repeat, anyone besides the writer of the chapter. In other words, They are surprise chapters. No one will know what will happen next or where it will lead to, even the writers! For more information about the project, check out our profile where Elle has explained the project. Please support us and many thanks to you readers! :)