To the Edge and Back: Chapter 7

Chapter 7

The three men approach the bus I'm standing on. The day is slowly turning to night but I can still make out what they look like. The rider in front has blazing red hair and very pale skin. He looks to be about twenty years old. He's riding an enormous red quarterhorse. He carries a bow and arrow too.

The second rider has dark black hair with dark black skin to match it. His appearance suggests that he might be around eighteen or so. He's riding on another quarterhorse with brown and white spots. I see that he is carrying a lead pipe on his back.

I notice that the third rider is in fact a girl and not a man as I had previously thought. She has bleach blonde hair and wide green eyes. I can tell that she is twenty like her red haired friend. For a second I think that it's Haven but I realize I'm wrong about that too. She is riding on a golden mustang. She's got shotgun on the horse's saddle. She is also carrying a machete in her hands. She stares right into my eyes. I get an uneasy feeling in my stomach because of this.

"Who are you?" I shout to them. The red headed man responded, "My name is Alex. The guy behind me is Dylan. The girl is Julie."

"Why have you come here?" I ask, my bow still poised for attack. "We've been on the run for the last two months. There are four more of us hiding out in a house nearby," he replies, "Please, may we have refuge on your farm?"

"How do I know that you aren't dangerous?" I question. "I give you my word that we will not harm any of your people if you do not harm any of mine," he responds. I ponder on this for a moment. I call to the rest of the group to come over to the buses.

Everyone is told the same information as me. We congregate at the bottom of the bus to discuss this. "What do you think we should do Nathan?" Tony asks me. "When I first saw them, they didn't seem to be a threat," I answer. "Plus, we could use the extra help around the farm. Winter will be here before you know it," Zach adds.

"How do you know we can trust these people? What if they're just like Dereck?" Clara asks no one in particular. "They seem friendly and willing to help," I say. "Let's take a vote," Tony suggests, "Whoever wants them to stay, raise your hand."

Zach, Taylor, Tony, Barbara, Amy, Clara, and I vote for the newcomers to stay. Jonny, Tusha, and Keaton got for them to leave. My vote earns me an angry glare from Keaton. I'll have to settle this situation later though.

I climb back on top of the bus to give the riders the news. "We voted on it, and we decided that your group can stay." They all seem very ecstatic about this. They turn around and ride back to get the rest of their group.

I hop down from the bus and we all begin to walk back to the house. Before I reach the door, Keaton pulls me aside to the left side of the two story farmhouse. "What the hell was that all about!" He asks furiously, "First you try to kill an outsider because he pulled a gun on you but then when three armed riders show up at our front door you suddenly want to invite them in?"

"They seemed friendly," I reply. Keaton looks at me with extreme hatred. I can tell he's angry. Almost to the point of violence. "Just watch your back from now on Nathan."

Confused and angry, I quickly walk back to my room. I know that if Keaton lays a hand on me, I'll rip his throat out with my gauntlets.