To the Edge and Back: Chapter 23

Chapter 23

Fall has officially begun and winter will soon be at its gates. We keep moving through the forests and head for the coast. I fear that we're still be followed by the people who attacked the farm. Zach says that I'm worrying about nothing. That they couldn't possibly still be hunting us. I still fear for our safety though.

The wind whips through the trees and leaves are plummeting toward the ground all around me. We were lucky enough to find coats and heavy clothing to keep us warm during days like this.

"Where are we right now?" I ask Zach. "The map says we should be nearing Chattanooga soon," He replies. God, the coast is so far away. How the hell are we ever gonna make it there?

Haven looks at me with a warming smile. "Don't worry, we'll get there. We just have to keep moving," she assures me. It's hard to keep reminding myself that she's my girlfriend. This world makes her seem more like my partner. Like I need her to survive but it doesn't feel like a relationship. I don't like this feeling. I'm still glad that she's here with me though.

A noise is heard behind us. We all turn to see what it is. Nothing is there but the trees. Then a shout is heard. Then another. Many voices are talking to each and walking our way.

"I saw them heading this way," a voice says. It's a mans voice. "Damn, I can't believe we've been chasing these freaks since that farm."

It was them. The ones who attacked the farm. By the way they were talking it seemed that they had been tracking us for months. We crouch behind some bushes and listen to their conversation. They really weren't gonna stop hunting us.

"They should be around here," A second voice says. "Make sure your guns are locked and loaded. Remember, they killed five of our own," The first voice tells the others. It's hard to tell how many are actually there. Too many is my guess.

"Move back," Zach whispers. We slowly make our way away from the group of killers. We're almost 100 yards away from them when my foot rests on a dead twig. It snaps and makes an incredibly loud noise. "Over there!" one of the voices yells.

We all run as fast we can. The men follow. Shots are fired in our direction from behind. I see a burnt out abandoned house up ahead. "Head for the house!" I tell the others. We sprint for the burned building. We duck down behind the remains of the house.

"There's no way we can take them all," I say. "Well what are we gonna do?!?" Taylor asks in a panicked tone. Zach looks down at the ground. He has a sad expression upon his face.

"I'll lead them away while you three escape," Zach exclaims. "No way brother. That's not gonna happen," I tell him. "This is what has to happen. No go before I change my mind," He says as a tear rolls down his dirt stained face. "Okay," I reluctantly agree.

Taylor goes over to him. Shots are being fired all around us. Haven sends out some suppressive fire to cover us. "I'm sorry to see you go," Taylor tells him with a serious tone to his voice. "Back at you," Zach replies. Even though its not normal for me, but I reach over to my best friend and hug him. "Endure and survive brother," I whisper in his ear. "Meet at Charleston. Don't forget," He says.

We start to walk away but Haven goes back. Taylor and I follow her. Taylor fires shots at the enemy while she talks to Zach. "I won't let you do this without some protection," She tells him. She pulls her bag of weapons from her back and lays it on the ground. She opens it and reveals everything she has. Haven hands Zach an assault rifle and a shotgun. She also brings out a Molotov, two frag grenades, and an odd looking blade that seemed to attach to the wrist.

"Good luck," She says to him as we walk away.

We run through the woods again. After a few minutes I hear an explosion coming from behind us. I turn to see flames and smoke rising above the trees. Tears stream down my face. My best friend is dead.