To the Edge and Back: Chapter 15

Chapter 15

"Open fire!" Tony shouts at the top of his lungs. We all begin to unload on the enemy. Assault rifles, shotguns, revolvers, pistols, and even bows are shooting at the vehicles. They begin to fire back at us. I see a man take position on a mounted gun on top of one o the vehicles. I shoot a bullet right into his chest.

An armored bus is driving straight for the gate. Molotovs are being thrown over the wall. The wooden gate begins to burn. The bus bursts through and the people inside begin to shoot at the survivors. A man climbs on top of the bus and starts making a speech as people are shooting all around him.

"You people think that you can challenge us? You believe that you can kill my men and get away with it? Well you're wrong! Slaughter every last one of them!" The olive skinned bald man shouts at us. "Retreat back to the main house!" Barbara commands.

We all scatter toward the two story farmhouse. I turn around and see several enemies running at me with machetes. I don't have time to aim my gun before they reach me. The first man knocks the assault rifle from my hands. I face off against five of them with my claws ready.

I lung at one and immediately rip out his throat. The rest don't go down as easily. I spin around and block and incoming attack from a machete with one of the gauntlets. I elbow the man in his temple and then face another man. I kick him in the chest before he has time to strike with his knife. I turn back to the other guy and slice him across the face.

A katana goes through another one of the men. A bullet lodges itself into the other man's head. Tony and Keaton join me at my side. I pick up my rifle and we slowly make our way toward the safehouse.

Everyone is running all over the farm. I look across the highway to see the other two story house. A couple seconds later, someone shoots a grenade launcher and I watch the house go up in flames.

"Mom!" I yell, "Mom, where are you?!?" Clara runs over to where I'm standing. We retreat to the porch of the house and try to make a stand here. More members of the group are making their way toward us. "Haven!" I shout, "Get to me!"

I see her running away from three men and a woman. She turns around and hurls a throwing knife into the chest of one of the men. She then pulls out her sawed-off shotgun and her machete. She slices through the woman's throat and puts a shotgun she in the two others.

Haven runs to us. She puts her weapons away and pulls out her sniper rifle. She begins to snipe at any enemy she sees. I take out a few men. I look over to my mother for a second and see a bullet race through her skull. I can only stare at limp body. "Nooooo!!!!!!" I shout to the sky. I begin to take every enemy I see.

I run out of ammo and then throw down the gun. I rush out into the army of men. I run straight for their armored bus. A hand pulls me behind a tree. Before I try to rip his throat out I notice that its Zach.

"Where have you been?" He asks. "We tried to make a stand at the house but its just going to hell," I hesitate before telling him what happened next, "They killed my mother." He looks at me with a look of understanding. "I think their leader is on top of the bus. You know, the bald man in the brown pants and shirt? We have to take them out," he says with a serious look, "I'll go and climb the bus and you cover me. Got it?" I nod to him.

He rushes out into the fray of people and darts straight for the bus. I pull out my pistol and shoot at any man trying to get near Zach. Zach pulls his hatchet out and buries it deep into an enemis head. He sees one comi g from a distance and throws the hatchet. It lands right between his eyes. Zach reaches the bus and starts to climb it.

He reaches the top to find more men guarding the bald man. They notice and aim their guns at him. Zach grabs a pistol lying near him. He starts firing rounds at the guards. Some fall off the bus and are knocked unconscious.

Zach crawls up on to the top of the bus and fires shots into the remaining guards. I watch as he aims the gun at the bald man. He pulls the trigger but nothing happens. A look of shock is on his face. The bald man smiles and then punches Zach in his jaw.

Zach falls from the bus. I sprint toward his limp body and catch him before he hits the ground. I basically drag Zach toward Haven and Taylor. Taylor and I carry him to a safe spot while Haven protects us.

"We can't win this fight," Taylor says. "I agree," Zach groggily adds, "That guy hits really hard." We pull ourselves together and head for the woods. "What about the others?" Taylor asks. "There's no time to go back," I tell him. He seems to understand and sullenly keeps walking.

The others keep going through the forest but I take a second to look back at the farm. The barn and house is on fire. Our home is gone. Everything we built, our society, gone. Most of our people are probably dead. My mother is dead. Barbara, Tony, Keaton, Alex. Where are they? Dead? Alive possibly? Or worse?

Who is that bald man? I hope he's done with us because that guy is way too powerful to take on. If he hunts us down, I don't think we could survive another encounter with him.