To the Edge and Back: Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Everyone is running around the farm preparing a defense. Zach is beside me on top of the wall ready for the fight ahead. Alex and Dylan run onto another part of the wall armed with bows. Tony is at the bottom of the wall giving orders to the rest of the group. Haven walks over to our mounted gun beside the top of the gate. I see Barbara take position at the other mounted gun on the other side of the gate.

"You won't win this fight," a voice says. I look around for the person who had said it. I realize that it came from inside my head. I hope I'm not going crazy.

The winter air begins to blow. The cold breeze sends a chill down my spine. I notice that I'm still wearing the gauntlets. They're still sharp after all these months. I fear that I'll have to use them soon.

The mood becomes tense as everyone takes their defensive positions. I look all around me. I see everyone I know. Everyone I trust. All of them are prepared to die to keep the peace that we started here.

Snow begins to fall. The sun slowly begins to set. There's barely any light left in the freezing winter day.

I fear for these people. My mother. My friends. Haven. They could die. I'll have to make sure that doesn't happen.

Everything grows quiet as I look down the highway. I see lights coming toward the farm. I see a large amount of military and armored vehicles coming straight for the farm. Their guns are poised for battle. I don't want to die today. I won't die today.