To the Edge and Back: Chapter 25

Chapter 25

The Tennessee River. I actually missed this place. I can't believe how happy I am to see it. It's been about a week since we left Zach. He's out there, somewhere, surviving. I just know it. He'll meet us at Charleston, just like he promised. I still have hope.

The air is freezing and it sends chills down my spine. Haven is shivering even worse than I am. I take off my coat and wrap it around her body. She smiles at me. I smile back at her.

"Won't you be cold?" she asks me. "I'll be fine," I tell her with another smile. "We need to find a place to stay for the night or we'll freeze to death," Taylor remarks. "We'll find a house when we get inside the city," I tell Taylor.

As we near the outskirts of the city I can see hundreds of biters roaming around the streets. I also see hunters scattered about in the mix of them. A bead of sweat begins to roll down my face as nervousness kicks in.

"Get down and keep your head low," I order. I signal to them to follow me. I slowly creep my way through the winding alleyways and parking lots. I make sure to stay off the main roads.

I look back to make sure that Haven and Taylor are close behind. Taylor has a worried look on his face. "Get out your blades just in case we run into any trouble," I whisper. Taylor pulls out his scimitar and Haven grabs one of her twin swords from its scabbard on her back.

I must've spoke at the right time because when I turn around a walker is right in front of me. I react on instinct. I dig my claws into its head and destroy the brain. It lets out a loud moan before it falls limp. The sound seems to attract more of them. Several shrieks are let loose from down the road. Hunters.

"Run!" I yell. The three of us take off down the street. Hunters are at our heals. Haven turns for a split second to take out two of the runners. Taylor is in the front of our group. He's heading for the apartments across from a super store.

We're just a few feet from the buildings when my ankle gets caught and I fall to the ground. I try to get up but a hunter pushes me to the ground again. They're almost on me. Is this really how it ends after everything I've been through?

Flames appear near my body. I look up to see the horde behind me burning to a crisp. Haven is standing near me with a flamethrower in her hands. That girl keeps surprising me more and more each day. I struggle to my feet and rush into the apartment building.

Haven comes in behind me with the weapon in her arms. Taylor slams the door and I help him shove some furniture against it. "You think that'll hold?" Taylor asks. "Not forever," Haven answers him.

"Zach would know what to do," I say. Taylor turns toward me, "Well Zach isn't here anymore Nathan! He's dead! I am sick and tired of you feeling sorry about his death! He sacrificed himself to save us and he died for it. He knew exactly what he was doing."

"He's not dead." Taylor looks at me. He looks straight into to my eyes. "What do you mean?" he asks. "I mean, when I went back to the burnt house, his body wasn't there," I reply. "Anything could have happened to his body! He's dead but you just don't want to admit it," Taylor exclaims.

I turn toward Haven. "Haven, I know you. You wouldn't just give half your weapons away to a man that you thought was gonna die before be even got to use them. You believe that he's still alive too don't you?" She looks down at the floor. "Yes," Haven answers.

"So what do we do if he is alive?" Taylor questions. "We stick to the plan. We keep moving. He'll meet us at the coast. I'm sure of it," I explain. "Okay," Taylor says, "I'll follow you wherever you go. I'll follow you to the edge and back." I turn toward Haven. "What about you?" I ask her. "You know that I'll follow you anywhere," She tells me.

I believe every word they say....

TO BE CONTINUED