To the Edge and Back: Chapter 21

Chapter 21

"There, that's where we're going. Charleston, South Carolina. We get to the coast and then we hole up and survive." Zach finishes explaining his plan to us. "We don't 'hole up' as you you say. We head for the other side of the world," I tell him.

"Why the hell would we do that?" Zach demands. "Because that's where the source of all of this is. A voice in my head told me." They all look at me in shock.

"Nathan, have you gone completely insane?" Haven asks with the most serious look I've ever seen on her face. "I'm sane. Plus I'm right about the source." Zach and Taylor have bewildered looks. They still don't believe me. "You have to trust me," I implore them, "You just have to."

"A voice told you this?" Taylor asks. "Yes," I answer. "In your head?" Zach asks. "Yes," I repeat. "You're my best friend Nathan. My brother almost. I believe you," Zach tells me. Taylor faces me and speaks, "if Zach believes you then I do too."

"Where exactly is this source?" Haven questions. "The voice told me that it's under the Great Pyramids. It's gonna take us years to get there on foot though." Zach thinks for a minute. "When we get to the coast, we find a boat and use that to get to Africa. Then, we follow the Nile straight to the Pyramids. How's that sound?" We all reply that his idea is good. No telling how long it would take to get to the coast though.

"Let's roll," I say. We grab all of our stuff and keep heading down I-40. A few hours pass before we stop again. This time it's two-story house in the middle of the suburbs. Biters roam the streets. A dark figure is walking upright in the middle of the horde.

"What kind of biter is that?" Taylor asks no one in particular. "No idea," I say. The creature sniffs the air for a few seconds. It then jerks its head in our direction. Before we know what's happening, the beast is running at full speed straight for us.

I stand in front of the group and face the monster sprinting at me. My claws are out and ready to kill. I wait for it to be a few yards away. I swipe my right gauntlet and bury it deep into the undeads weak and fragile skull. My long blond hair falls down in my face. Sweat pours down onto my head. My breathing is fast and heavy.

I bring myself back to reality and realize that the biters are moving toward us. "Run!" Zach orders. We all rush away from the neighborhood and into the woods. After about a mile we make it to a clearing and set up camp.

"What the hell do we call that thing?" Haven asks me. "A runner I guess," I tell her. "More like a hunter," Zach says. "I having a feeling that we're gonna be seeing a lot more of those," Taylor inquires.