To the Edge and Back: Chapter 19

Chapter 19

"Let them go you maniac," I command Dereck. "You made me the maniac," he replies. I turn my gaze toward Walt. "I suppose scum do tend to hang around each other," I remark with smirk on my face. "You need to watch what you say or your friends won't live to see tommorrow," Walt threatens. "How did you even do this?" I ask him.

"We followed you of course. When we saw an opportunity to ambush you, we took it. I knew that we had to take out your little girlfriend first. We had her tied up before these two idiots even got to us."

When Walt finishes explaining I look over at Haven. She has a worried look upon her face. "Eyes over here Nathan. You can't really be worrying about her right now," Dereck tells me. He tightens his grip on Taylor.

"What are you gonna do Nathan?" Walt asks mockingly. We stare at each other. I'm stuck in a stalemate with two lunatics. My girlfriend is tied up and Zach and Taylor are on the verge of having their throats slit. I have no idea what to do.

This is when Zach decides to pique up. "Y'all don't what you're gettin in to. This isn't the farm. I'm not holding Nathan back anymore. He's pretty much insane now. I wouldn't mess with him," Zach lies. At least I hope he's lying.

"He's bluffing," Dereck remarks, "Don't believe a word he says." Walt gets a worried look on his face for a second. "I'm gonna kill you slowly you redneck one-footed freak," Walt threatens Zach. "Go to hell Walt!" Taylor exclaims. "Watch what you say or you'll just be another corpse," Dereck tells Taylor.

"Enough talk," Zach says. He elbows Walt in the chest. He grabs the knife and shoves Walt toward the wall. Before Dereck can react, Zach stabs him in the shoulder. The blade breaks and sticks into Dereck's flesh. He falls back in pain but still remains standing.

Taylor goes to untie Haven. Zach and I stand across from Dereck and Walt. Dereck grabs the blade and rips it from his shoulder. He doesn't even flinch from the pain.

"I'll take the albino," Zach tells me with a determined look. "I guess I'll be taking Dereck then," I say to myself.

Dereck decides to attack first. He grabs me before I can use my claws. He hurls me across the room and I hit the wall. I rushes over to me and throws a blazingly fast punch into my gut.

Zach and Walt clash in the center of the room. Zach pushes Walt away from him. He then arms himself with his hatchet. Zach strides over to Walt and delivers a hard kick into his stomach. Walt punches Zach in his right leg but it does nothing to him. Walt's hand breaks when he hits the prostetic leg.

Before Dereck can hit me again, I dig my claws into his shins. He howls in pain and falls to his knees. He keeps coming though. He's about to bring his fists down upon my face. Out of nowhere, Haven brings her twin swords to Dereck's neck. "Get the hell away from him!" Haven decapitates Dereck. His head rolls across the floor.

Zach looms over Walt. Sweat beads down his face. His brown hair has grown longer than normal. His breathing his heavy from the fight with the albino. He hesitates for a second. He looks right into to Walt's eyes. He then swings the axe and slits Walt's thin pale throat.

We leave them where they died. We search the rest stop for maps and any food we can find. Each of us grab a map and we all head for the door. We run until the building can no longer be seen in the distance. "So, where to now?" I ask Zach as we head down the interstate.