chapter one ;

Ugh. I groaned in exasperation. I accidentally pulled another all-nighter. Maybe some concealer can hide the bags under my eyes.

Never mind, makeup hates me. It's almost surprising how my parents never question it. Oh well, not like they care anyways. As long as they have my brother, Aito, they don't need me or have to care about me. Even if I'm gone, they'll still have an heir to the company. As long as I don't mess with Aito, they won't yell at me.

It was 5:30 am so I had three hours before school starts. I can probably spare another half hour before preparing to go to school. I picked up my pencil and continued writing.

I am the famed writer, Hayama Shohei. Of course, it's not my real name. It's just a stage name. As much as I want to shout out to world who I am, I don't think mom and dad would be very appreciative if I upstaged my sibling..

So, I am the average boy, Hayashi Eiji who never gets noticed and is better off being a shadow. You know it's there but there's no real purpose. Sure, a shadow can provide shade and a shoulder to cry on, but no one would ever come to me.

I yawned. I really shouldn't have stayed up all night. I gave up and decided to take a warm shower. I leisurely walked into my bathroom, stripping and hopping into the tub. I sighed in content as warm liquid hit my skin and cleansed my troubled mind.

I felt sleepy, so I put on a burst of chilly water. Wow, that was really refreshing. I stepped out and grabbed my towel. I turned to the mirror and wiped the water off it.

I looked at myself. I wasn't anything special. Shaggy, black hair. Dull blue eyes, you'd think I was dead if my chest didn't rise with each breath I took. I had pale skin and thin pink lips. I wasn't really anything special or good-looking. I looked average, I guess.

I dried my hair and slipped on my uniform. I didn't like it, but I could deal with it, considering the girl's uniform was horrendous. I didn't button my shirt up all the way though, so some skin was shown. I can't bother to button it up all the way. It's too uncomfortable. The tie covered up most of the exposed skin anyway.

I picked my bag and took my writing book. A writer has to be prepared for inspiration. The human memory isn't reliable. I have to write everything down precisely.

I rushed downstairs before my parents did. I doubt they'd even mutter a greeting anyway.

"Good morning, Eiji-sama," the maid bowed and I smiled warmly at her. The staff were the only ones that truly cared for me. I love them as much as they love me.

"Good morning, Haruna-san. Would you mind asking the chef to prepare a small muffin for me?" I asked politely. The smile Haruna-san offered me was almost blinding. She turned away and did as I asked. I sat at the empty dining table and laid my head on the cold surface.

A hand placed a warm muffin in front of my face. Haruna-san smiled at me. She is a middle-aged mother who has sent her daughter off to college, thanks to the perks of her job. Her daughter used to occasionally visit and she's my childhood friend. I call her "Nana-chan". I smiled as I took a bite of my muffin. Nothing lasts forever. Not even happiness. As they say, "Nothing gold can stay." I love that poem.

Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.
Robert Frost

I balled up the wrapper and stuffed it in my pocket. The maid offered another muffin and I took it, deciding to save it for later. I walked slowly out the door, throwing my trash out in a nearby trash can. I sighed and walked out, bidding farewell to Haruna-san. I looked up at the cloudless blue sky. Some birds were loitering around the garden, so I decided to tear my muffin up and feed it to them. I crouched near them and held my hand out.

I watched as they tentatively hopped toward my hand. One bird daringly jumped right into my palm and pecked up some crumbs. Then, one after another, more birds picked up crumbs from my hand. It sure felt nice to be one with nature. It was peaceful, for a while at least.

hONK HONK!!

The birds scattered, leaving several crumbs, which I threw on the ground for them. I walked to the waiting limousine and the chauffeur opened the door for me.

"Akiyama-san, I told you that you don't need to open the door for me," I sighed and got in anyway. "I'm a big boy."

"Ah, time flies fast," the elderly man said wistfully. "I still remember when you pooped your pants! You were so cute when cried to Haruna—"

"Okay, okay! Can we please just get to school?" I said, embarrassed. Akiyama only chuckled and closed the door. He went behind the wheel and started the car.

I sighed. I was transferring to Ouran High School. I tried to be a normal kid and go to a public school, but once you tell someone about who you parents are, it gets ugly. I don't know how anyone found out about my misery but somehow I got transferred to Ouran. I sighed and fidgeted. This is going to be such a bother.

Soon, we arrived and I reluctantly got out of the car. I stared at the school in disbelief. Of all colors, it's pink. I have nothing against the color, but personally, I would've chosen white or maybe a nice shade of gray. I walked up to the secretary and I greeted her.

"Hello, I am Hayashi Eiji, the new transfer student. May I have my schedule?" I said calmly, but I think the lady could tell I was a wreck.

"Here you go dear," she handed me the piece of paper and smiled. I tried to smile back and I turned and walked away. I looked down at my schedule. I'm kind of early, so if I get lost, I have a chance to not be late.

Looks like I'm in class 1-A. I wonder the classroom. This school is way larger than it needs to be..
°•°•°•°•°
Author's Note: Yup, the picture up there is Eiji! If you want to know, 'Eiji' means 'second son'. 'Aito' means 'darling child'. The only reason I wrote this was because there were a lot of crap ones. No offense. Vote, favorite and comment please! I'd love to hear what you think of this, good or bad.