chapter four ;

My eyes shot open, and I quickly sat up. I rubbed my eyes and looked around, sweat covering my face. I wiped my face on my white shirt. My chest felt tight and my breath was uneven and ragged. I had that dream again. I could feel the goosebumps on my skin as I recalled the nightmare.

Lights. That's all I could see. Flashing lights and grinning faces. I was tied to a chair, struggling to break free. There were cameras everywhere. I had looked to the floor to avoid my picture being taken, and a pair of brown eyes met mine. I screamed; there was a girl lying below me with an eerily sweet smile and dead eyes.

"Hayama-san! Hayama-san!"

My hands ripped free from the bounds and I covered my ears with my knees to my chest. I clawed at my hair. Make it stop! My chest felt tight and I had to get out of here—

Lately, I've been having the same nightmares over and over again. I'm tired of them and I wished could just claw them out from my head. I shut my eyes tightly before breathing in and out to calm my racing heart. I looked at my clock. It was 5:37, which was way too early.

I looked at my desk, pondering if I should get up and write. But, I decided against this; why would you bother to write if you can't think of anything to write? I sighed and curled up in my warm bed. If I tried to go back to sleep, I'd probably have that dream again and that's the last thing I want.

I rubbed my eyes and decided to get dressed. I wearily put on my white shirt and periwinkle-blue uniform. I sighed as I put on my black pants and combed my fingers through my hair. I got up, shuffling to the bathroom to brush my teeth and wash my face.

I turned on the cold water and cupped my hands and brought water to my face. I rubbed my face, turned off the faucet and looked up. In the mirror was an exhausted male with dark circles under his eyes. I wiped my face with a fluffy white towel and started to brush my teeth. I paused, thinking about my nightmare. I hadn't had that dream in a while and it had started recently, which was about a week ago.

I wasn't one to think superstitiously, but maybe this dream meant something. I was frustrated, but I didn't want to dampen my own day, so I spat out the foam and rinsed my mouth with water. I swiftly walked downstairs to eat, but not before stopping at my desk. I stared at the wooden table with nothing on it except a pencil and paper.

I hated writer's block. I used to spout out stories, but now that I had deadlines to meet, my mind just stopped. I fingered my favorite navy blue mechanical pencil. It would always make me feel better, touching the special pencil my grandfather had given me. I treasured everything my grandfather touched. He was the only family member who genuinely cared for me, and I'm grateful for that.

I pulled myself away and ran down the steps. I sat at the table and grabbed a muffin to stuff into my mouth.

"Ah, I see you've woken up, Eiji-sama!" Haruna-san walked up to me and smiled. The corners of my lips turned up a bit and I wiped the crumbs from my face with my sleeve.

"Eiji-sama! Your napkin is there for a reason," she exclaimed but I brushed her off and shrugged.

"My sleeve is reusable," I stated, and I couldn't help but inwardly pat myself on the back because of the rather clever retort. The maid sighed in exasperation but grinned anyway.

"Let's see if you can reuse that face of yours and smile! Why don't you make some friends?" I chuckled at her response and shook my head.

"I'll see you later, Haruna-san." I walked outside, the chauffeur waiting for me. I hurried and greet Akiyama-san.

"Akiyama-san, you don't need to open the door for me. I wouldn't want you to break your hip or anything," I half-joked and slipped into the sleek black limousine. He chuckled while his mustache twitched along. Akiyama-san slowly walked to his seat and started the car, driving to the prestigious and rather pink academy.