Prologue

Where Shadows Breathe: Prologue

Whispers of confusion swept through the forest as warriors wove among the branches. Usually silent boots scuffled softly against tree bark, voicing weariness and hardship. Though not uttered aloud, a single thought echoed through the forest.

Almost to the stronghold.

Leaves rustled as a runner's knees buckled beneath him. His comrades heaved him upright, hardly blue to pause in their frantic chase of phantoms. A sense of urgency thrummed in the air, and if any warrior yearned for rest, he did not have the greed to voice his want. Instead, each could only think of what lay behind them and what they must warn those before them of. Step by step, the patrol neared but refuge felt ever farther. Few words passed between the warriors; nothing aside from mumbled phrases of assurance. Breath could hardly be spared for anything more.

Just as it seemed their tireless efforts were for nothing, the gates of Greenwood appeared. Breaking the tree line, the warriors slowed, falling into line, one behind the other. Knees buckled but determination did not.

At the company's head, a hooded ellon moved in cryptic purpose. His shoulders were squared, though they seemed to shake in spite of the strength set in them. He carried a cold fury, his gaze unmoving from the gates before him.

The forest's whispers were replaced by the sound of rushing water. Murmuring behind the gates gave way to the wooden door groaning. Only metal bars separated outsider from guard, and the hooded ellon wrapped his arm around one—in need of support or something tangible to hold to, none could tell. The gate began to move, creaking, and one of the guards moved to beside the ellon. "Hir-nin," the guard said, "you have returned. Did you encounter trouble?"

The other threw back his hood. His eyes were piercing, much like the King of Eryn Lasgalen's yet kinder; warmer in a way. For a moment, he only stood, breath escaping his lips in sporadic huffs. He shook his head but remained silent.

"Legolas?"

The prince looked up, his gaze unfocused until he met the guard's eyes. Expression shadowed, the Prince of Greenwood spoke, voice low. "I must see my father. The forest is darkening."

____________________
To Be Continued

Good? Bad? Votes-comments-criticism appreciated!