Chapter Thirteen: Trust

Chapter Thirteen: Trust--Legolas

My footfalls fell noiseless as I walked, gaze wandering from the grass to the branches above me. 

The trees were quiet, almost nervous. I had attempted speaking with them, but their voices only spoke with much prodding on my part. They could not offer information on the intruder, only revealing that a malevolent presence had passed through the forest at some time, but the being had been shrouded and hidden from their senses.

I caught glimpses of my warriors as they searched, the unspoken hope being that the unknown person might still be in the near vicinity. Despite what my eyes percieved, my mind was more focused on what was indicated by the grass, leaves, and branches. While it was entirely possible that the trail I was following had ended by the person jumping into the river, something about the lay of the leaves ignited dissettlement.

My hand brushed the blades of green, their smooth texture catching on the callouses of my palm and fingertips. The grass was displaced in such a way that... could it be? I bent closer to the ground, eyes narrowing. With the amount of disturbed grass, but the lack of visible footprints I could only imagine that--my breath caught before I straightened. "Lookout! We've been tricked--" I could hardly shout the words before the air was stolen from the forest, swept into a swirling storm of fear and danger.

The warriors nearest to  me froze at my tone, and I caught the sound of a fading cry, the sound nearly muffled by my own pounding heart. My gaze snapped to around me as I recognized that voice all too well.

Forven.

And if the level of barely concealed panic was anything to judge by--

There was no time to breathe as my legs carried me through the forest.  Feet seeming to hardly touch the ground, I barreled down whatever path might reveal itself through weave of tree trunks and rotted webbing. The slightest sound of distant movement was all that I could find to follow, hoping--praying--that I was not leading myself further astray.

It could only have been seconds--Forven would not have wandered unreasonably far away--but finally I came upon it. My bow had already come to my hand, arrow fitted to its string. I simply had to find my target.

The scene before me was poignantly breathtaking and with a passing glance I took it in. Forven was on the ground a figure standing above him, sword in hand. Blood dripped from the weapon's blade, a sickening flow of crimson. The unknown figure's hood was thrown back, and I could barely glimpse the malicious expression his features held to. Fury ignited inside me and releasing half of a hastily drawn breath, I let my arrow slip from my bow.

A metallic ring echoed through the forest as my arrow met its mark and the figure's weapon was knocked from his hand. The sword descended as I sprung forward, watching as the intruder's head shot up, his gaze meeting mine. A challenge flashed into his eyes, nearly instantly displaced at my deep throated growl. He took a step back--the sword hit the ground--and my warriors sprung from the trees.

The intruder hardly had time to react. His already faltering footsteps became entirely unsteady when innumberable blades surrounded him, my own arrow being at his neck. The glint of my arrowhead matched that of his eyes and anger thrummed in the breaths of the warriors around me. "Surrender yourself now," I said, voice low and even and  barely concealing my utter rage, "for if you don't I am sure death will find you quicker than you'd like."

The ellon before me smirked. "You wouldn't dare."

His words were enough to snap whatever restraint I held to. My face twisted and in one quick movement of my fist, the ellon was on the ground, awareness fleeing him. It took all the control I could muster to not take more than his consciousness. For the present such would have to suffice. Trusting the warriors around me to restrain the apparent assassin, I moved to Forven. Blood stained the forest leaves a deep brown, colored by a turbid flow of scarlet.