Chapter Eight: Adumbrate

I leaned against the wall that adjoined to the gate, waiting

I leaned against the wall that adjoined to the gate, waiting. Legolas was to return soon. The forest had whispered of little else for the past hour, and I could faintly hear the branches parting to allow an easier path.

Legolas had many ways to deal with his upset, the most prominent being to avoid thinking on it. When he had left the training fields, I had thought his mind to be partially at ease. When word had reached me that he had slipped out with a patrol, I forced myself to not follow and strangle sense into him--ai, Elbereth, the dwarf skulled elf he was. He had been angry--leastways, that is what he wanted me to believe. I, however, could not be so easily misled. Anger and fear were two intertwining forces, whether he would admit to it or not, and while anger could overpower many emotions, it was firstly born of fear. Fear began the violent spiral to anger, whispering of all that could be lossed should the force of evil prevail.

Legolas's hate of the Shadow was his weapon, but it could also be his downfall. And so I would tell him when the other warriors could not hear. Legolas was too much of a sign of hope to have even a faint rumor of doubt surrounding him.

I had sent a message to Thranduil telling him of his son's actions. He was not alarmed, as Legolas had done this before, but in a time as dark as this, every moment he was away from the stronghold was a moment too many.

I shook my head. Despite what I might tell myself, Legolas was not the irrational child warrior he had been when first joining the ranks of the Woodland Guard. The lessons of battle had quickly been engrained in him. A fire burned within, and when we met I knew it was a fire that may at times need to be tempered, lest he burn even himself.

My thoughts were diverted when I saw the awaited company appear, seemingly in no worse condition than was to be expected. The guards opened the gate, and in filed the warriors. One after the other they came, until Legolas brought up the rear. He had seen me, I knew, but by the way he continued past me, he either didn't care or hoped that I wouldn't.

"Legolas," I said.

He stopped and turned, breaking from the other warriors. An apology was clear in his eyes, but still he brought voice to it. "I'm sorry I didn't tell you." His apology ended there, as did his remorse. He wasn't sorry for leaving, only for causing worry. It would be enough for now.

I shook my head. "You did what you had to. In any case, your father wishes to see you."

"What for?" A lightness pierced his voice at mention of his father. While the king stayed in his quarters--a plethora of guards surrounding him--his safety was near undoubted, but I was sure Legolas felt relief in mention of his father.

A reluctant grin spread over my face as I answered. "I suppose we'll find out together. He's summoned me with you, as well as the other captains. We must awaken the malice.."

With that, realization dawned upon him. We both knew what was about to begin.

_________________________________