Chapter One: Midnight

I leaned against the wall, eyes closed as I waited for my adar to arrive

I leaned against the wall, eyes closed as I waited for my adar to arrive. Many nights had passed since I had walked the halls of my home and now the familiar glow of my adar's study warmed my chilled spirit. Head lolling to the side, I allowed myself to sink to the ground. Light faded to darkness, time lost in a fleeting moment of peace.

Unsure of how long I had been there, I suddenly felt a hand upon my face. Jolting upright, I found myself face to face with my adar. No words passed between us as the moment held. It was an instance such as this that had become all too rare in the crumbling time of peace.

Briefly pressing his lips to my forehead, Thranduil straightened, his hand resting on my shoulder should I need assistance. I managed to stand unaided, shrugging a stoic façade back into place. Thranduil moved behind his desk, and I stood before him. "They tell me you bear grave news."

Pressing my fist to my chest respectfully, I bent at the waist and said, "It is the forest; Dol Guldur's shadow is growing much faster than we had anticipated. I fear we shall be overrun if we do not increase our efforts." I struggled to keep my speech ordered and understandable, but at the end of each word, my thought was lost even as I stumbled after it.

My adar nodded, a distant look overcoming his features.  "What did you find?"

Setting my jaw firmly, I considered how to tell him. The trees cast shadows far beyond themselves.  They refused to speak to me, as if their voices had been stolen from them. And still, what we found... "The spiders are multiplying. Too quickly. We cannot drive them back without others creeping behind us. We lost none of our warriors, but I cannot say the same will be true in the days to come if we do not push harder."

My father removed his crown, placing it on his desk almost noiselessly. "You wish to do it then?"

In that inquiry the charade of king and captain was abandoned and we were again father and son. That which we had feared had finally come to fruition, and the plans that had been lying dormant--suppressed even--must be uncovered.

"I do." I answered. "They must be driven out. We will lose more warriors by leaving the spiders be than we will if we take the offense against them." We had hoped it wouldn't come to this; hoped that they might move farther from the stronghold. They have only come closer, woven webs far more complex than we had ever expected.

He sighed. "Much pain will come from this, to those far beyond even ourselves, but we cannot pretend that this darkness will not reach us. How soon will your warriors be ready?"

"The moment I tell them. I would think word has already spread of what we found, but for now it is only rumor. My archers need rest, though, and if we wait two days the wounded will be fully healed."

"Only two?"

I smiled. "They are loyal, near to a fault." As I spoke, a nauseating wave rolled through me. Attempting to smother the feeling, I moved slowly, spots dancing at the edges of my vision. I would have fallen to my knees, except for the strong grip upon my arm and the hand placed firmly against my chest. Breathing deeply, I looked up to see my father next to me.