Chapter Sixteen: Breath

Chapter Sixteen: Breath--Legolas

The company was silent, taking to the trees as phantoms of the wood.

Expressions solemn and weapons ready, they moved with quiet purpose, myself in their midst. There were some days when a jesting undertone would flit amid conversation, but today, voices were mute. Even the trees refused to speak, retreating into their wooden cores. Involuntary brushes of one leaf upon the other was the only song that the forest sang, the music dim and faint.

I sighed, but my breath was quieted by the winds that stirred around us. The dim glow of my warriors was the only light that brightened the forest's expanse, the sky too black to allow even the barest hint of sun. Our path was careful but quick, eyes searching for a threat and hands wandering towards our weapons. In some sense, my warriors seemed eager to happen upon a foe, anger toward the absence of Forven and reason behind such seeming to taint their every action. They were furious--and I would not temper their upset, for my own emotion ran high along theirs.

Breathing deeply, inhaling the heavy scent of shadow dampened air, I motioned my warriors to spread amid the trees--not far, but just enough to see more of the forest. They moved seamlessy, stances vigilant and ever watchful. I shifted between them, being sure that nothing hid--that nothing could creep upon us like a web spun in the night.

To my right, a patch of grass caught my eye. For a time, the green blades were hardly disturbed on their surface, untouched even by the wind--but then they dipped, as if something had only just begun to smother then before realizing the mistake of the action.

I stepped forward, and as my boot scraped the ground I stiffened, realization dawning.

The forest was utterly silent. Ice pricked the air.

I whistled, the sound short yet urgent. "Daro." My eyes darted around me, searching, looking, waiting. More forcefully, I spoke again, tone cautious and breath stolen. "Daro. I'goth a tul ed duath."

My warriors moved quickly, hearing my summons coming near again. Caneir stood nearest to me, bow drawn but dagger hilt sticking out from his belt. A dangerous glint gleamed in his eye, yet somehow I felt that my own gaze matched his. "Car lle henia i?"

I huffed once, harshly, a bitter sneer tightening my jaw. "It's not a spider."

And then chaos was upon us.

Our bows and blades sang, preparing for battle, as an outpouring of blackened blurs poured from the forest's depths. One shape followed the other as they came upon us--who they were I could not see, but I knew their intent was that of malice. They slipped into our midst, spreading like ink into water, hidden by the shadows of a waning day.

My warriors entered the fight without my order, and our defense was quickly spurred to full force. While an arrow, perhaps even two, was fired into the air, our enemy crept too close for such a weapon. Swords and knives flashed silver, an eerie glow to every stroke that fell. I brought my knives in front of my chest as one enemy came in front of me. His actions were smooth, deft, and entirely too familiar. A glance to the foes my comrades fought brought clarity to my suspicion--each moved with the unhindered grace that could only have been of an elf.

My eyes grew wide. We fought our own, cold fury and fiery passion clashing.

The elf before me was vicious in his purpose. As his sword swung for my head, his dagger slid toward my side. Deflecting the sword and spinning out of arm's reach, I dropped low to the ground. Pushing forward off one leg, I ducked under my enemy's guard. With one thrust of my knife, I threw him off balance--a grunt sounded--he stumbled back, and before he could recover I kicked his chest. One step--two--and he fell upon the leafy ground. Before he could so much as make a movement to regain his feet, I straddled his chest, bringing one knife hilt down on his temple.