Chapter Two: Igneous

Metal clinked against wood and whetstones ran along blades

Metal clinked against wood and whetstones ran along blades. Weapons, twice examined, were shouldered while two lines of warriors filed outside to their awaiting mount. Faces were tense but determined.

They were the sounds of preparations. The signals of battle.

When I had met with my warriors, a pensiveness had hung in the air. I could feel that they already knew what I would be telling them; that they were simply waiting for word of mouth to become fact. When I had told them all of that we had found—explaining what are response would be—an audible sigh of relief had sounded. At first, I was confused but gradually I understood that they had feared we would do nothing: something far worse in their eyes. To them—to all of us—this opportunity was a blessing.

Anything to rid the forest of the shadow that clung to far more than just the trees.

I stood in front of the gates, watching. It was sad to think that, should I make some foul decision, not every one of these warriors would return. Those that did not support our means of protection may say that the idea was cynical—to ponder what death might come.

But it was better to be glad of survivors than taken aback by losses. The elite company was skilled, but even we could not expect to escape death unscathed.. Many were young, but not lamentably so. Only two of my warriors were wed with ellyth in the stronghold. The fathers were needed too much to be lost in this fight.

The seconds passed slowly as our haphazard preparations fell into seamless place. It may be a day earlier than anticipated, but perhaps this was for the best. An air of discontent and anxiety had been clinging to the stronghold in my warrior's eagerness to begin our fight, their emotion encroaching even upon my own peace.

My eyes passed over our ranks once more. Seventeen gazes turned upon me.

This contingent was the best our ranks could offer. They were all those especially trained to be under my command, and though the demands of the realm might press their strength, no one would dare call them disloyal.

The spiders would outnumber us, undoubtedly, but we were prepared. I raised one of my knives above my head, turning to face the top of the stairs to the palace. My warriors did the same, pressing a fist to their chest in reverence of their king.

My adar, face expressionless, nodded, his blessing imparted in the gesture.

We mounted our horses. No words were needed as we moved forward. Forven came beside me, tilting his head in acknowledgement. All was ready. The gates creaked open, water cascading in small waterfalls around it. My warriors mimicking me, I dug my heels into my horse's side, spurring her forward and into the depths of the shadowed forest.

It was not long before we encountered the hoard of spiders. The guard had been right—they were coming, and much too rapidly for comfort. I slowed my mount, drawing my bow. I sighted an arrow, and breathed deeply. As rapid as the action was, my thoughts slowed it.