Chapter 1

(Eren POV)

I groaned as my alarm went off. Shit. My back ached like hell. Yesterday's beating would definitely leave a mark. It would take weeks to heal, if I was lucky. I hopped off of my bed and grabbed some clothes. I didn't shower, because I didn't want to change bandages again. I only had so many. I quickly brushed my teeth and ran my fingers through my brown hair. When I looked into the mirror a stranger stared back at me. I looked skinnier then I remembered and there were bags under my emerald eyes. I frowned at my reflection and picked up my clothes. I changed into a pair of black skinny jeans and a plaid green shirt. I rolled up the sleeves to my elbow and slipped on some old converse. I put on a black beanie and felt like I was forgetting something important. Then it struck me. I almost forgot my necklace that my mother had given me before her death. It was a simple design of a white and blue wing. She had called them the wings of freedom. I put on my black jacket and ran out the door with my messenger bag slung over my shoulder. I didn't bother to get any breakfast, because I didn't want to risk waking up my hungover Dad who would be an asshole as always.

During the walk to school I noticed a guy walking in the same direction as me. The reason he grabbed my attention was because he was incredibly hot. I don't think I'm gay, but either way you couldn't deny he was good looking. He had multiple piercings on his ears and he had one on his lip. They looked undeniably sexy. What am I thinking?! I'm not gay! I think...

He looked like a Greek God the way his jaw was perfectly carved. I couldn't see what color his eyes were from far away, but I'm sure they we're beautiful. He had jet black hair styled into an undercut. He had on all black and to be honest, he looked intimidating. I wondered to myself why I had never noticed him before. I stopped to hide behind a tree to snap a photo. I pulled out my Instant camera and took a photo of him at a stop sign. I fanned out the picture and stuffed it into my bag. I eventually lost sight of him and continued to walk. My heart was beating fast as I walked the rest of the way to school.

As I ran up the steps of Trost high school I heard the bell ring. Fuck. I was definitely going to be late, seeing as my first class was halfway across campus. I grabbed a tardy slip from the office and walked to class. It was pointless to run, I was going to be late either way. I sighed out loud as I reached the classroom. I could hear Mr. Kirkland yelling about the importance of punctuation in a sentence through the paper thin walls. I honestly didn't even want to be here, but at least here my father couldn't hurt me.

I took a deep breath as I twisted the handle and opened the door.

"Ahh. Mr. Jeager. About time you decided to join us. Sit down and turn to page 676 of your English textbook."

I handed him my late slip and sat down. I could feel the usual stares of my classmates and groaned. As I looked through my messenger bag, I realized I had forgotten my giant red English textbook. It was probably lying on the floor somewhere around the house. I prayed to any God out there, that my dad wouldn't find that book. If he did, he would probably sell it or yell at me about it when I got home. I really did not have the money to buy a brand new textbook.

I turned around as I felt a tap on my shoulder. I almost died, when I saw who was sitting behind me. It was the insanely hot guy from this morning. And he was holding a giant red textbook in his arms.

"Do you need to borrow a textbook? I brought two by accident."

I nodded violently and muttered a thanks as I grabbed the textbook. Holy shit. I'm pretty sure I was as red as a fucking tomato. Why was he being nice to me? Was this some kind of joke? I was freaking out. I guess I'm over thinking it. He's probably nice to everyone.