Chapter 3

(Eren POV)

"Where's your money you piece of trash? I know your hiding a stash for that college shit."

My heart was in my throat as I assessed my situation. I couldn't give him the money. It was my college fund and my only hope of getting out of this hell hole.

"I don't know."

He looked at me for a split second and then his fist came crashing down on me.

He kept hitting me and hitting me for the longest time. I felt weak and useless.

"Now, I'll ask one more time. Where is the money?!"

I debated in my head whether I should just give him the money so he would leave me alone, or wait the beating out.

"I don't know!!"

I immediately regretted opening my mouth because I had unintentionally yelled.

"Your mother would cry if she knew how much pain I'm going to put you through."

I was prepared to suffer the consequences. I knew how much my Mom would want me to escape this horrible place if she saw how I was being treated.

I shielded my eyes as I saw he had a beer bottle raised at me.

This couldn't end well.

I cried out in pain as the glass bottle hit my hands. There was still alcohol in the bottle which made my cuts burn.

Tears fell from my eyes as I waited for the beating to end.

A half hour later, he finally stopped hitting me.

He walked out of the room silently as though nothing had happened.

Is he done?

He slammed the door behind him and went into his bedroom.

Grateful for the end of the beating, I rushed up to lock my door.

I grabbed the tiny first aid kit from where I had hidden it.

Thank God he didn't find this.

He didn't "believe" in modern age medicine. Now that would have gotten me in a whole new world of trouble.

After all, a failed operation is what killed her.

She had gone in for a small procedure. She was supposed to go home the next day. At the time, I had no clue that anything was wrong. My father had simply said she was going to stay overnight for observation. He had said that every time I asked him. And for a few weeks I believed him.

Until one day I was walking home from school and decided to visit her in the hospital. I waltzed up to the reception desk, with a huge smile on my face.

I asked a nurse what room my mom was in. She had told me the number and given me a look of pure pity.

I should have noticed something was amiss. How could I have not noticed the look of despair etched onto her face?

I skipped to room 221 and didn't understand what I saw. The door was opened just a crack, to where I could see a woman with long wavy brown hair folding sheets.

I assumed it was my mother folding laundry just like she always did. I had yelled out joyfully to the woman standing there. She turned around, looking startled.

She had asked who I was and in turn I had asked her where my mother was.

She had cupped her hand to her mouth, with tears in her eyes. She had hugged me and cried out "I'm so sorry for your loss."

Sorry.

For.

Your.

Loss.

Over and over again.

Those words rang in my head, still clear as a bell after so many years.

I grabbed the tiny tube of ointment. I squeezed out way too much and some fell on the bloody floor.

Eren, you fucking idiot.

I got down on my knees and the glass pushed into them.

I whimpered in pain as I tried to grab the ointment off the floor before it melted.

I patched up as best as I could with injuries all over my body.

I swallowed one pain relief pill and took a deep breath.

I absolutely hated this routine. I wish I knew how to stop it. If only..

I spent hours cleaning up the room, before I was finally satisfied with it.

I looked out my window and then moon was shining palely.

I sat down on my bed and prayed that my mother could hear me up there somewhere.

"Hey mom, it's me Eren. Just phoning to let you know I'm okay. I know last time, I talked with you, I was practically crying, but um.."

My voice cracked and I fought back tears.

"I know you never liked to see me cry. You always used to say crying was only accepted if I cried out in joy. Well..anyways I just wanted to let you know that I love you..."

My throat tightened and I breathed out shakily.

"I also promise to save that money for college. Dad wanted some but I was so stubborn. Just like you always said. I won't break my promise to you. Ill go to college just like I promised. I just wish you would be there to see me graduate.."

Memories flashed in my mind. My mother smiling down at me. Her long wavy hair in her eyes. Her voice was so sweet.

"Well, I guess this is goodbye for now. I love you so much. I miss you mom.."

Silence.

I laid down in bed and closed my tired eyes. Tears ran down my face.

"I love you mom"

I fell asleep a few minutes after, thinking of my mother.

----------------------
AN: Sorry for the late update. My irl friend found my wattpad and has been bugging me about it, so I made a new one. I also just discovered I'm pansexual. Yay me. Well anyways I bet you don't want to hear about my life so Thanks for reading.