Say What? (Steve Rogers x reader)

You watched as Steve sat at the counter, a red blush painting his cheeks. In truth, you really felt bad for the guy. Tony was poking fun at him once again for his use of 40's slang. Try as he might, Steve just couldn't help it. He really was trying to adjust, but the 40's language would just slip out sometimes and when it did, Tony teased him relentlessly. "Come on, Tony. Leave him alone," Clint chastised as he got another cup of coffee. Steve came and joined you on the couch.

"You okay?" He nodded but didn't say anything. "Just ignore Tony. I do," you said with a smile and turned back to the book on your lap. "It's frustrating, ya know? I can't help it and he doesn't help. I'm doing my best," Steve finally said. You closed your book and placed a reassuring hand on his shoulder. "It's okay, Steve. We all have our little quirks. For example; I always sing 'Zip a dee do-dah' when I'm at the chiropractor." He gave you a little smile and you left him on the couch. Steve was too nice of a guy for Tony to pick on all the time and you were going to make it up to Steve one way or another.

The next morning you walked into the kitchen and found everyone already there. "Hi-de-ho!" you exclaimed. Steve snapped his head in your direction. "Hi-de... Say what now?" Sam questioned. You merely shrugged and took your place between Steve and Clint. "How ya doing, Ace?" you asked Steve. His eyes widened for moment, but then he smiled. "Doing fine, Doll. Might I say, you're looking spiffy this morning." You stifled a giggle and began eating breakfast. "What just happened?" Tony asked.

You turned back to Steve and inquired, "Do you think he's sauced already this morning?" Steve began laughing boisterously. You smiled, knowing that you were succeeding in making Steve feel better. There was a sparkle in his eyes that you hadn't seen in a while. You spent the rest of breakfast talking to Steve using his language while the rest of the team simply looked on confused. Once everyone finished eating and left the kitchen, you turned to Steve. "Feel better?" He gave you a sweet smile that made your knees buckle.

He pulled you into a hug and rested his cheek on the top of your head. "Thanks, Y/N. I appreciate it. I meant it, by the way about you looking spiffy." You pulled away and cocked an eyebrow at him. "Oh really?" He nodded and blushed. "I've been carrying a torch for you for quite a while now, but I didn't think you felt the same" he said sheepishly. You smiled up at him and replied, "Well, I think you are such a dreamboat, Captain. How could I possibly not?" His body shook with laughter again. When he finally stopped, he asked, "So how about a date, Doll?"