Support Group (Sam Wilson x fem!reader)

Sam kept his eye on you as he listened to the other people in the group. This was your third or fourth meeting and you had yet to say anything. At least not during group. You often spoke to him afterwards, but not about anything relevant to why you were in the support group. When the group ended and you still hadn't said a word, Sam decided to offer you some personal help.

"Y/N, wait a second," he said as you grabbed your purse to head out. You stopped and turned back to Sam, a look of curiosity painted on your features. Sam gave you a reassuring smile. You set your purse back down on the chair and waited for the room to clear.

"Did you need something, sir?" you asked, making Sam laugh. "You don't need to call me 'sir', Y/N. That's kind of what I wanted to talk to you about." You cocked your head to the side. You couldn't help but call him sir sometimes. He had been a higher rank than you when you were still in the service. "You never talk during group, Y/N. It's hard to help someone who won't talk." You bit your lip nervously.

"I know. I just freeze. It's hard to tell others what happened to make me leave the service. I feel like an embarrassment and a disappointment." Sam placed a hand on your shoulder. "Hey, I'm sure you're neither one of those things. But it's hard to adjust to life as a civilian if you don't let go of the military, ya know?" You nodded, looking down at the floor. Sam sighed and removed his hand from your shoulder before rubbing it over his stubble. "Look, why don't we sit and talk? Just the two of us. Maybe in a more private setting? Gotta vacate this room."

You contemplated his offer for a moment before agreeing. Sam grinned and lead you from the room. The two of you walked to a little coffee shop down the road. Once you had your coffee, you sat down. For a little while, you didn't say anything important. Mostly just small talk. After a little while, you began to feel more comfortable. You knew Sam's story and it made you soften a little. You felt like you could open up to him, and only him.

And open up you did. You started talking and didn't stop until you said everything. Sam never interrupted. He just let you talk until you were talked out. The military was a tough place for everyone, but especially women. Just like many fields, women didn't have as many opportunities as men did and it took a lot for a woman to succeed. So, when you were injured badly enough for the military to discharge you, you felt like a failure especially in the eyes on your father who had been a career veteran.

Sam reached across the table and placed an encouraging hand on yours. "You are not a failure. If you refuse to move on in your new life, then you'd be a failure. But now? You're a woman who's lost after an exciting military career. That's all." You smiled at him. "Thanks, Sam. I needed that." Sam shrugged and returned the smile. "It's what I do," he replied, making you both laugh.

"Seriously though, Sam. Thank you. Maybe we could do this again? Get together and talk, I mean. You're easy to talk to." Sam agreed, but added, "You can talk in group. I'm sure the others would benefit from hearing your story." You blanched at that. "I don't know, Sam."

"Think about it, okay? You don't have to, but it might do you good." You sat quietly for a moment. "I'll think about it." Sam smirked."Great. Now, how about another coffee?" You nodded eagerly. "Sounds great." Sam went and refilled your coffees, leaving you at the table to think about everything you'd both said. With Sam as your friend and confidant, maybe you'd be able to open up to more people. Sam made his way back to the table with a knee-weakening smile. Or maybe you could just get to know Sam a little better.