Chapter 2.

Chapter 2 // Just Go Along With It

Carter walked over to me after Mrs. Anderson told us to move towards our partners. He smiled with pearly white teeth which took me off guard. Most guys I hang around or see have gold teeth, dirty teeth, or overall stinky breath.

"Hey." He said sticking out his hand to shake mine. I stared at it for a second scrunching my eyebrows together unsure of if I shake it or not. I then squinted my eyes and shook it. Carter sat down next to me on the edge of his chair like he was scared or something. I let out a scoff.

"Okay partners. So discuss which days you'll pick to get to know one another. Monday through Friday of course." Mrs. Anderson smiled at us and then sat behind her desk observing the room.

"How about Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday?" Carter quickly said.

"Dang. Do I even get a say?" I snapped at him.

His eyes widened at how fast I snapped at him which amused me. He scratched his head and looked very uncomfortable. If he was going to be scared or nervous all the time then this was going to be a great three weeks. "Well Thursday doesn't work for me." I said in a childish voice.

"Are you serious?" His tone seemed annoyed but I didn't care.
"I'm pretty sure I am. That's what I just said. I have mandatory soccer workouts." I looked at him with a 'b*tch whet' face because for him to have top scores and all, he surely wasn't able to comprehend.

"You play soccer?" He raised an eyebrow.
"I just sa-"
"Yeah yeah. You just said that." Did this boy really cut me off?
"Watch out. Don't do that." I lowly said with a serious expression on my face. He put his hands up in surrender mode and I shook my head. "Sorry." He lowly replied. Yeah that's what I thought. I chuckled inside of my head because I'm pretty sure I just hoed him.

Carter cleared his throat and ran his hand through his dark brown hair. "Uh well I can't do it Wednesday either so," He sighed "I guess Friday it is."

"We're not doing nothing." I mumbled laughing a little. That was a childish thing of me to say since he can't 'do it' but luckily he didn't hear me.
"Huh?" He turned to look at me.
"Oh nothing boy. Whatever. Monday, Tuesday, and Friday." I rolled my eyes. Once my eyes came back from being rolled to the back of my head from pure agitation I notice him just staring at me. I shook my head and turned my back to him. "We start meeting tomorrow for Tuesday." He said to me like I'm five years old learning about how to keep a schedule.
"Whatever" Is all that came out of my mouth.

The bell rang and I was so anxious to leave that I hurried out of that class and I didn't even say bye.

**
Later on that day Nicole and I were walking home like usual. We lived in the same small neighborhood and it was about a fifteen minute walk from school so we'd rather walk than ride a bus with a bunch of musty high school kids.

"Girl, how was homeroom and your other honor classes?" She questioned me with excitement in her face.
"It was okay. The people at our school are more stuck up than I thought." I cross my arms walking stiffly. I was being true though -- we've always grew up in a diverse school but never really mixed who we hung out with. The black kids hung out with the black and few Hispanics and the white kids hung out with the white kids or Asians.

"Oh duh!" Nicole snickered. "That's natural."
I rolled my eyes. "I have to do this stupid 'get to know your partner' project for three weeks and my partner and I already don't click."
"Who is it?" Nicole raised her arched brow.
"Some boy named Carter or something." I groaned loudly at the thought of that naive little boy.

Nicole stopped walking dead in her tracks and smiled at me clapping her hands, making her bracelets jingle together. I turned and uncrossed my arms. "What the heck is all this clapping for?" I mean mugged. She sure did know how to get exited for I don't know - no dang reason.

"Chica, yaaaaaas! Carter is like sexy! And smart! And he has a million muscles! And he can dress! And he's the only white boy I'd ever date if he'd ask me!" She went on and on about that boy and I sighed. I didn't agree with anything she said rather than maybe he could dress.

"Do you know him?" I asked, but then I felt stupid for asking. Nicole's all over the place when it comes to our school -- she knew everyone. "Duh! Who doesn't? Everyone's like crushing on him. He's smartest guy at our school, fresh, pretty teeth, nice hair, great muscles, go-"

"I get it." I cut her off. If I didn't stop her from talking then she would go on and on. I pulled out my phone and began to watch snapchat stories because Nicole smacked her lips and continued to speak.

We made our way to her house finally and we hugged as our goodbye. I continued to walk a block down and waved at a few people who were outside. I thought about Carter for a second. He probably lived in some huge house in a gated neighborhood. His family is probably the happiest family ever -- I mean, I'm not complaining because I live with my full intermediate family and we're happy most of the time. I don't know what it is, but on tv and in magazines white people always seemed so happy together like nothing bad ever happens to them, or that they just don't put their business out in the open - Whatever.

Finally making my way home, mom pulled up in her Malibu car and gets out smiling. "Hey babe! How was your first day back?" She asked as I walked up to hug her.

"Could've been better. It's just the honor classes and my environment changes."
Mom looked at me with a dumbfounded face and began to laugh.

"It's just so many stuck up kids at my school that I've never paid attention to." I shook my head.
"Girl get yo butt inside and stop complaining so you can get your damn diploma."
I laughed at my mom and walked into my home.

It was a long afternoon night.
After eating dinner with my family I took a long shower and washed my curly hair. After all of that I got into my night clothes and already began to dread going to those honor classes tomorrow. I was not going to tell this boy nothing about me.