1: An Elite Girl, Living in a Chauvinistic World

"Blythe darling! How enchanting to see you!" My mother lightly grasps my forearms and pecks a kiss on each of my cheeks.

"Very wonderful to see you as well, mother. How did Paris treat you?"

"Oh, my dear, excellent! Paris in the summer is beautiful! I don't know why you insisted on staying cooped up in the manor."

"Senior year is approaching fast. I must get a head start on my lessons, if—"

"You are to be the best. Yes, of course. However, I do think that studying so much has weakened you. Are you feeling faint?"

She runs her smooth hand over my forehead to check for a temperature. "No Mother," I gently push her wrist away.

"I just haven't eaten yet." "It's almost noon! You'll make yourself sick!" "Soledad invited me out for lunch—at the Grand Dupris on Main," I smoothly lie through a forced smile.

"Ah yes! Robert Majewska's son Daniel owns the Grand Dupris! Maybe you shall run into him," She smirks at me whilst still remaining in a ladylike fashion.

"Perhaps," I half-smile, "I must go now, Mother. Soledad will be waiting for me."

"It's rude to keep people waiting!" She calls as I make my way out of the front French Doors.

Gracin, our butler, is waiting for me in the car when I get there, and I meet his eyes through the rearview mirror.

"Is it all in there, Gracin?" I question as he hands me a mangy looking rucksack. "Yes, Miss Blythe. It is."

I roll up the privacy screen upon his last words and begin to change from my brown tweed skirt and white button-up to black high-waisted shorts and a sunflower-patterned crop-top.

Black sandals follow soon after and I shake my hair from the tightly wound bun it's in. I stuff my other clothes into the rucksack and throw it into the floorboard of the town car.

"There in two, Miss Blythe," I hear from behind the screen. I call back, "Thank you, Gracin."

The town car rolls to a smooth stop and I hastily bounce out, completely done with all of the fancy talk and fake happiness.

"Miss Blythe!" Gracin calls from inside of the vehicle. "Yes?" I spin back around and duck my head into the space.

"Last one?" He questions, a look of disapproval marring his face. "Yes, of course," I plaster a fake smile onto my face as I lie straight through my teeth.

"Good. I'll pick you up at two," He responds with a small smile. "See you then," I slam the door shut and take off towards the dilapidated brick building that used to be New Hope Hospital.

"Cam!" I shout once I enter the devastated structure. "Are you here?"

"Blythe? We're down here!" Comes from under me and I immediately know that they're in the basement.

I bound down the stone stairs to the small concrete room where about six people are standing around, white smoke falling easily from their mouths and into the air.

Yes, I had found a new group to hang out with this summer. No, they may not be all that dependable, but at least they aren't fake.

"Wanna smoke?" A stranger offers me what seems to be drugs and I crinkle my nose, "Uh—no thanks." "You come to the pit and you don't even wanna get high?" He questions, a particular slur to his words.

I shrug and lie, "Just not in the mood today." "Suit yourself," He leans back against the wall and continues to inhale the toxic substance.

I've never smoked, even if my new friends are potheads. "Blythe!" Cam appears from behind smoke rings, simply walking through them like he isn't breathing in pure toxins.