23: The Photographs Your Boyfriend Took

Whew! That last chapter was a doozy, wasn't it? Just a few starter questions:

1) Where does it go from here?

2) Will they get back together?

3) Will this force Blythe into Daniel's arms?

4) In general, do you think Jesse treats Blythe badly? Or vice versa?

Thanks so much! Would love to hear your input! Now, onto the chapter.

xoxo,

IC Judah

Or, at least I thought I was leaving Jesse behind. Before I can escape from his apartment, my dignity in shreds, he catches the edge of the door and slams it back shut.

The noise and abrupt action cause me to flinch. My eyes stare down the dingy, cracked frame and my forehead slowly rests on it with a sigh from me. I slowly turn around to face him, his eyes pools of icy blue rage. He uses a firm hand on my shoulder to turn me and press my back against the door, his other hand pressing down on the junction of the frame and the door itself.

His face is mere inches away from mine and his body is hovering over mine, warmth emanating from his toned form. Breathing heavily through my nose out of anger, I look away from his gaze.

"I don't have to explain myself to you," He says through gritted teeth, "but I will anyway."

"I don't want to hear it-" I begin, but he interrupts me.

"I don't care," He hisses. I exhale sharply through my nose and cross my arms over my chest, my skin brushing against his cotton t-shirt and sending goosebumps through me.

How I wish I could touch him, hug him, anything.

But I can't. I have to restrain myself from appearing attached or, in love.

"I had a party last night," He begins.

"Obviously," I mumble, gesturing to the mess around us.

"Shut up," He grumbles. I seal my lips and set my gaze on another point in the room.

"Anyway," He continues, "I had a party-just a small thing. I only did a line or two-not enough to get me so high I couldn't comprehend my surroundings. Almost everyone was drunk or high and didn't want to drive. There were more people here, in the living room, and my room, but they must have left. It's just coincidence that when you came in there were only women. I didn't sleep with any of them. Everything remained completely G-rated."

"Doesn't make up for the fact you forgot my birthday," I mutter and he groans.

"Blythe, do you realize drugs are mind-altering? I'm still coming down from a small high and I just woke up. Cut me some slack," He lowly breathes out the last part, bending his arm by my head so he comes closer to me.

His right-hand slips down from my arm to my hip and roughly pulls me against him. I exhale sharply as his taut muscle collides with my body. My mind swirls, his masculine scent heady and intoxicating.

"I-It still doesn't change that--" I begin, trying to put up a defense.

"What? It's fine, Blythe. There's nothing that needs to be mended, here. I'm your boyfriend, not theirs. I don't want to sleep with them, understand?" He cuts me off.

He's right. I didn't have a valid excuse to offer. If he hadn't cut me off, I wouldn't have been able to finish my sentence. I don't know what his explanation wouldn't have changed.