9: The 'Thing'

"Blythe! What are you doing up there?" My mother's voice carries up the stairs and through the slightly open door of my bathroom.

Instead of responding, I pour myself another glass of Chateau Margaux and sink lower into the clawfoot bathtub, the bubbles slowly rising over my head as the hot water relaxes my tense muscles.

The bottom of the bordeaux glass rests easily against my chest and I press my face against it.

My left hand slowly rises from the water and I blow the bubbles off of the giant stone weighing down my finger.

I sigh as it catches the dim candlelight and winks at me, the diamond glittering from all angles.

"Blythe?" Her voice is right outside the door now.

"Yes, Mother?" My tone is slightly irritable yet still quiet and subdued.

The door creaks open as she pops her head in, a small smile implanted on her face.

"Is everything alright, darling?"

"Just peachy," I mumble, taking a large swallow of my wine.

"I see you've gotten out the Margaux. What's the occasion?" She pulls up the vanity chair next to the porcelain tub.

I hold out my newly-ringed left hand and she clasps her hands to her mouth.

"Oh, Blythe, it's beautiful!" She gasps, pure joy ringing through her tone.

"That's what they tell me," I comment lowly before taking another drink of wine.

"Aren't you happy?" She prods, her facial expression contorting in confusion.

I shrug, "Just a little drained, is all."

"Then a hot bath will do you well," A large smile stretches across her face. "Oh, I must go tell your father the great news!"

She hurriedly stands and rushes out of the room, her heels clicking against the Italian marble flooring.

I set my glass on the nearby table and sink even further into the bath, the hot water now touching my hair. I exhale deeply, close my eyes, and allow my mind to wander off.

Of course, the first thing it comes to is Jesse.

Jesse, with his sculpted body...

I groan and push myself completely underwater. I let out a loud scream, air bubbles rising furiously to the surface.

Resurfacing, I wipe my eyes on a nearby towel and pick up my glass again. 

I take another swig and laughter begins to bubble up in my throat. I openly welcome the sensation and toss my head back.

I'm going to be married in less than a year. 

All of my hard work has been for nothing.

Jesse was right.

Once the sensation subsides, I realize I'm in freezing water with quickly diminishing bubbles.

"Farewell, fair cruelty."

1. What is a line of mathematical best fit that minimizes the deviations (residuals) from the line and is used with bivariate data?

As I'm about to scribble down my answer, I hear a "Psst!" from behind me. Assuming that it's someone wanting answers, I ignore them and begin to write again.

"Psst!" It comes again and I clench my teeth. "Blythe!

"What?" I spin around.