20: Take Me to Church

The alarm clock on my night table chimes out Vivaldi, indicating it is indeed time for me to wake. I sit up, stretch my arms out, then fumble to remove my eye mask. Once it's off, I'm met with the view of my Mother standing at the foot of my bed.

I flinch, gasp, and press a hand to my chest. "Mother," I swallow hard, "you frightened me."

"Blythe, it's eight-thirty! The service starts at ten, yes?" She instantly grills me.

Puzzled, I slightly ruffle up my hair, "Service?"

She cocks an eyebrow and gives me an expectant look, "Yes, service, for the church you go to? It's Sunday, Blythe."

I furrow my brow for a moment before I catch on to what she's saying. "Oh, right, church. I apologize, Mother, I'm still half asleep."

"Well, you better become awake! We have to depart at nine if we want to arrive on time. You must get ready!" She goes to the door, as if she's leaving, but stops herself before she exits. "Also, Daniel and his parents are downstairs waiting." With that she leaves, the slamming of the door similar to a reality check.

Church-- a place I've never been to (at least this specific one).

Daniel-- someone I really don't want to see.

I throw the covers off myself and pick up my phone, fingers flying over the screen as I hurriedly text Cam.

Me: I need a favor!

Cam: shoot

Me: My family and Daniel's family want to go to the "church" I've been "attending".... I'm supposed to be in a small group, but I don't know anyone who goes there...

Cam: say no more, sweet cheeks, daddy will take care of this

Me: Thank you so much! I owe you one!

Me: Also, please never call yourself "daddy" again... it's creepy

I delete the messages, in case of prying eyes, and toss my phone onto my bed before standing up and going through my closet. I pull out a simple white shirt with a black-and-white patterned skirt, paired with a black pea-coat, black tights, and black booties.

Before I get dressed, I go back over to my phone and shoot Jesse a text as well.

Me: hey babe, I'm headed over to Brooklyn

Jesse: can't wait

Me: ...with my family

Jesse: what

Jesse: why

Me: they want to go to church with me

Me: Cam has a plan, just thought I'd let you know

I stare at the screen for a moment, waiting for a response. When he doesn't answer, I sigh, delete the messages, then toss the phone back onto my bed. I rake my fingers over my scalp and ruffle out my straight black hair.

Giving up on a response, I seat myself at my vanity and quickly do my make-up. Once I'm done, I carefully dress and spritz myself with Clive Christian Rock Rose Parfum. I give myself a once-over in the mirror before grabbing my handbag, phone, and Bible and heading down to the living room.

Everyone is mingling and, obviously, waiting for my arrival.

"Blythe!" Daniel exclaims, a large and seemingly fake smile planted on his face. He's wearing a blue suit along with shoes that could probably feed hundreds of African children... then again, I did just use $550 perfume.