1. Rîneth of the Woodland Realm

(Gorgeous fanart by hatteeho, commissioned for Stars of Varda by MaggieShivers - thank you forever, mellon-nin!)

Before dipping my quill into the inkwell, I reach for another strawberry and read over the unfinished letter to my sister.

I can imagine your husband did not share your enthusiasm over the arrival of the Dwarves. Poor Lindir - will he ever warm to them? Thorin Oakenshield's company made quite the mark on him.

Was Ori among the visitors? Not a day passes when I do not open his book. It is one of my most cherished possessions...

I glance at the small oak table near my settee. Ori's book is where I last left it, opened on a page detailing Dwarvish armor. It is accompanied by an elaborate drawing of his older brother Nori, suited up for battle in grays and blues.

My chest tightens in deep fondness thinking about Ori and his illustrations. I befriended the Dwarf during the time my sister and I helped with the restoration efforts in Dale after the Battle of Five Armies. He presented the book to me on my final day there. I have not seen him since.

I dip my quill and return to the letter.

Has Lord Elrond made mention of our new prisoner? He is a miserable--

"Rîneth?"

At the sound of my father's voice I drop my quill, a splatter of ink marring the parchment. I must be late. It would not be the first time. I stand to open the door to my chambers.

He looks down at me, his gray eyes inquisitive. His gaze slides past me to examine my writing desk, and the bowl of red berries resting upon it. His sudden smile softens his square jawline.

"I came to remind you supper is soon ready, but perhaps you no longer have an appetite."

Relieved I am not late after all, I motion for him to come in. "A few berries are hardly a proper meal, Ada. I was finishing a letter to Faeleth. Did you hear about Imladris' visitors?"

"The Dwarves from Erebor, yes." He plucks a strawberry from my desk and inspects it. "May I?"

"You need not ask."

I hide a grin as he reaches for another berry after satisfied with the first. If I inherited my love of the fruit from anyone, it was my father.

"Faeleth must have been pleased to see them," he says. "As for Lindir, I am sure he was remembering the time Thorin Oakenshield's company bathed naked in the fountain."

I tilt my head back and laugh. "Let us hope for his sake they kept their manners and did not behave like...Dwarves."

"Yes, let us hope." Gailon smiles thoughtfully. "Faeleth probably gave him proper encouragement."