44. The Secret

The large cavern hall, which was barren and silent in despair the last I saw it, is now teeming with hundreds of injured, and perhaps a hundred more tending to them. The air appears to carry a soft glow from the healing power of my kin, containing a warmth which travels through my blood and strengthens my still-weak body.

I walk carefully through the maze of bodies, my eyes searching for faces I recognize. Not far from Thranduil's empty throne I see Gwendes' mother beside her husband. Her eyes are reddened from crying.

I kneel down beside her and reach out my hand to touch Tadion's arm. He is alive but sleeping.

"How does he fare?" I ask.

"I do not know how it is possible, but in time he will be fine." Gilrin's almond eyes fill with tears, and she shakes her head as if to clear them. "I had believed he was dead. When I saw him breathing, I could not trust my vision..."

"He is stronger than you know." I look over his body, and see no wound or blood. "What happened to him?"

"Lord Feren told me it was a cave troll. It lifted him and then dropped him from a great height. The bones in his legs are broken in several places, but his heart beats stronger than it ever has."

I notice his legs do not lie straight. I inwardly wince. If Tadion was of a different race, he would perhaps never walk again. It is not the first time today I am thankful the Eldar have been given the gift of recovery from grave wounds.

"I have remembered your husband through the long night. I am relieved to see he is alive," I say. "Where is Gwendes?"

"I do not know. She left shortly before you came."

Where else would she be? Perhaps she decided to help the other injured while her father sleeps. I leave Gilrin and continue a slow walk through the halls, inspecting the faces of the wounded and pausing to speak words of encouragement.

I kneel down by an auburn-haired lady I recognize as the chandler's youngest daughter. Her wounds have been tended to, but her face and neck are still marred with dirt from when she fell while fleeing with her children. I find some water and linen and wipe away the dirt. I doubt my words offer much comfort, but she seems to appreciate my feeble effort.

"Where are your children, my lady? Should I search for them?"

She shakes her head weakly. "Inuhel and Ianion are sleeping with the other children in a nearby chamber. A guard is watching over them."

"Are...are they twins?"

"Yes, my lady."

I smile, and feel a warming flood of relief that they are safe. Though my mind and heart have been focused on Thranduil through the night, I have wondered about the fate of the children, and many others I know and love.

Ferdir is also among the living, the only evidence of injury a jagged gash a mere fingertip under his eye. His usual sideways grin makes an appearance when he sees me, and he walks over to meet me halfway.

"Lady Rîneth," he greets warmly. "Please accept my apology for...earlier. I had just been in the heat of battle, and--"

"There is nothing to forgive. I, too, was not in my normal frame of mind. In a life and death situation one cannot be expected to act their usual self. I am glad you were there to help carry him."

His expression becomes somber. "How is he?"

"He woke not long ago. His injury is grave, but I believe the danger is over."

Ferdir exhales a relieved, ragged breath. "I witnessed it from the start, Rîneth. It is little wonder where Legolas learned his acrobatics while fighting. I have never seen anything like it. If not for him, the battle would have turned the other way, and perhaps none of us would be alive."