46. Answers

Thranduil is silent, his hands steepled under his chin as if contemplating whether he should continue. It feels like the span of a mortal man's life. My intense curiosity is making me breathless and fidgety. If he does not tell me soon, I might send him back to the Halls of Mandos myself.

"In Lindon fair was where I first met her."

I let out a breath.

"I was on a trip there with my father. One summer evening we dined with his friend's family and stayed the night. They had a young daughter whom I had not met before, and upon seeing her I fell in love."

My face must betray my surprise. When he had said he must start from the beginning, he had obviously meant the very beginning.

"She had no interest in my foolish attempts to gain her affection, but undaunted, I returned to Lindon not long after I left. And again I returned. And again. I was nothing if not persistent. At first she insisted we remain in friendship, but when it was apparent I would not rest until it became something more, she withdrew from me completely. I lacked the wisdom to understand. It was not until later when I heard the reason."

This younger and rather obtuse version of Thranduil is difficult to imagine. "Perhaps she just did not like you in that...way?"

He does not smile at my light attempt at humor. "No, she certainly did not. She was in love with another."

I lean forward. This is an unexpected turn.

"His name was Annúnor, and he had been Itaril's closest friend since childhood. As soon as she became aware of romantic love, she knew she felt it for him. Annúnor felt the same, but neither would voice it for fear it would destroy their friendship should the other not return the feeling.

After I journeyed to Lindon many times to pursue her, making no secret of my intentions, he could no longer stand back and keep silent. When the tidings reached the Greenwood of their betrothal, I no longer traveled to Lindon."

Thranduil turns to look at me, but his mind is elsewhere, in another time and place. I can only wonder how the story will change.

"I changed my thoughts to war, for Sauron was strong in the land, and Elendil and Gil-Galad were gathering forces, my father among them. We marched to battle. Meanwhile, Itaril's betrothed refused to wait idly in Lindon as his king and kin planned to fight. It was but a few months before their wedding day. Itaril pleaded for him to stay, but when she knew he would not listen, she asked to be married beforehand. Again Annúnor refused her, promising they would be wed before all of Lindon just as she had dreamt, with her father there."

"Her father was with Gil-Galad preparing for war?"

Thranduil nods. "Though she was distraught, he promised her he would return alive. But he was young and had never seen war, and could not foresee the great battle ahead. Itaril never saw him again. Both Annúnor and her father died in the Battle of Dagorlad a month before the wedding."

I shake my head, unable to imagine her grief.

"My father died as well in that battle, as you already know. I returned to the Greenwood as King, much changed from before. I heard of Annúnor's death, but I did not contact Itaril again; I had lost all hope in anything between us. After the passing of several years, Itaril arrived to my kingdom with her mother and a host from Lindon. She asked me if I would still marry her."

My eyes widen. "Truly?"

He gives a humorless smile. "I was blinded by happiness over her coming and did not question it. I did not stop to consider why she would suddenly be interested in marriage when her heart had belonged to another. But I did fear her mind would change, so I broke the tradition of waiting a year; we were wed within two months.