12. The Better Choice

The forest holds no clues a heavy storm passed over it, the brightness of the mid-morning sun having dried the earth. It is not a far distance from the cavern halls to Gwendes's home near the village center, but I first pause by the courtyard fountain to steel myself. Nestled behind the chandlery, the potter's house is small but distinctive, with tall windows overlaid with intricate patterns of entwined vines.

I stop to admire the various-sized pots resting on the stone steps, surely molded by Gwendes's and her father's hands, each overflowing with blooming yellow Elanor. A fond memory arises in my mind of the Elanor crowns I wore as an elfling; it has always been my favorite flower.

As I lean over to take in its familiar sweet smell, the front door swings open.

"Rîneth?"

Gwendes wears a clay-stained apron over her dress, her strawberry hair tied in a loose bun. Upon seeing her, my flutter of nerves returns, and I abandon all thoughts of the Elanor. Perhaps I will excuse my visit as merely a passing hello...

"Garo aur vaer." I muster a smile.

"To you as well, my lady. I saw you through the window..." Her forehead furrows. She casts a quick glance over her shoulder through the open door. "Is everything well? I was about to begin work with my father."

"Oh, I apologize...I should have realized." Feeling foolish but immensely relieved, I turn to go, promising myself a slice of honey cake for my efforts upon returning home.

"Rîneth...wait."

Leaning her head through the open door, Gwendes calls out to her father that she will return soon. She removes her well-worn apron and places it over a nearby chair before joining me at the bottom of the steps.

"I know you did not come without reason," she says. "What is the matter? Has your father decided to depart?"

"No, not at present. It is...something else which lies heavily on my heart..." I look down the path leading from the village center to the less-populated outskirts. "Can you spare time for a walk?"

"Of course..."

The earthen road becomes narrowed from thick shrubs of pink and white viburnum, filling the air with a fragrance reminiscent of cloves. I reach out to touch a domed flower cluster as we walk by, a butterfly's sudden flutter of wings like the nervous flutter in my chest. Do I have the courage to say what is needed?

"My lady?"

I see the confusion on her face, but the innocence there as well, and know I have no other choice.

"My reason for coming is about Elros."

"Is he all right?"

After the unexpected death of her brother, her immediate concern is understandable, but I feel frustrated; Elros would never give her the same concern or care.

"I saw him on the way to the practice grounds earlier, his bow in hand. I can assure you he is more than alright."

"Then what troubles you?"

I fall into silence when I see the slim form of Sírdor in the distance, his back facing us. He appears to be building a wood railing for steps leading up to a viburnum-encompassed home. He turns his head at the sound of our approaching steps but does not return Gwendes' eager wave.

I wait until we are past his range of hearing and push aside my hesitation. "I fear I have led you astray regarding Elros."

"What do you mean?"

I cannot mention Elros' prejudice concerning her nobility. If Gwendes knows the entire truth, she will assume all Sindar believe similarly. It will further propagate the ongoing prejudice, making the invisible line between the village and cave an invisible wall. It is the last thing I want.

"I have given it much thought, and I do not feel you share enough interests to be compatible. It is my belief that Sírdor is a better choice."

"My lady, you said-"

"I know. Tis not the first time I have been wrong, nor will it be the last. You were too quick in rejecting Sírdor's proposal yesterday. You should have reflected on your feelings, sorting reality from imagination. You have only just met Elros."

Gwendes stops walking. "I have already studied my feelings. I told you I love him; that has not changed. Your sudden negativity comes as a surprise..."

"How can you love someone you do not know?"

"From what moments we have spent together, I feel I do know him."

Someone else might laugh at her childish answer, but I feel pity, and also understanding. Had I not once uttered similar words? The path in front of us forks, the direction rightwards leading to the river, but we do not continue further.

"Tell me, did you love Sírdor before you met Elros?"

"I...." She trails off, a soft breeze plucking the wisps around her face. "I do not know."

"I maintain my belief you can set your sights on anyone, but you must be careful where you put your heart," I say. "I found myself in a similar place once, in love with someone I thought I knew well. His true character came to surface many times, but I disregarded it, not wishing to believe him anything less than ideal. He--"

"Then what is Elros' true character?" Her voice hardens. "What is it you discovered which I am not privy to?"

I hesitate. "That he is conceited, belittling those he deems lesser than himself."

"That sounds nothing at all like Elros." She tucks the stray wisps behind her ears. "I believe I know who this came from."

"Who?"

"The King."

It is an unexpected turn I did not anticipate. "He merely helped open my eyes to what my conscience already knew. He has observed Elros many years, far longer than you or me..."

"You have it wrong. Tis not Elros who is prejudiced, but the King. He has persuaded you to dissuade me from a relationship with Elros. Sírdor is the better choice, of course – he is of my same rank."

I bite the inside of my lip as irritation winds through me. "You forget he is my friend, Gwendes."

"I certainly do not."

"He has my best interests at heart, and yours as well, for he knows we are close. He would not lie to me."

"My father heard Elros' mother was friends with the Queen. Can you not see he is protecting him?"

"From a fair elleth? He would be fortunate beyond measure to have you. The King is not prejudiced. He confessed his only reason for keeping Elros is due to the same reason you believe he is protecting him. He does not like him at all."

"He does not like much."

I restrain a desire to lash out, knowing Gwendes' strong emotions hold the reins. When she interrupted my vulnerable confession, which I brought up out of desperation, I knew the battle was lost. If she would not listen then, she will listen no further.

I know what that is like.

"Regardless of your opinions on the King, you cannot deny his wisdom."

"Nor can I deny his age," she replies heatedly. "His way of thinking is old, much unlike yours. That is why I know you are blinded by friendship. You would have reached my same conclusion otherwise."

"Gwendes..."

"I choose to believe the best in Elros until proven otherwise. Your assumptions are not sufficient proof for me."

"That is your right," I say, dispirited. "I shall not try and stop you. But my conscience feels satisfied in knowing I have warned you."

The soft breeze returns, bringing with it the spicy smell of the viburnum and a hint of the honeysuckle by the river. If only our discussion was in agreement with the weather; then perhaps I would not feel like hiding from the sun.

"I must return," she says. "My father waits for me."

On the walk home, I realize I no longer looked forward to the honey cake, for it would surely taste like dust in my mouth.

A/N: Thank you so much for all your comments and votes!