41. Itaril

As Narunir is eager to return to his duties, my father takes his place in the bedside vigil. He speaks little, his concern for his friend evident in the hard line of his mouth and clenched jaw. If Thranduil does not endure the night, I will not be the only one to suffer his passing.

He has been friends with Thranduil since the Last Alliance, saving the then-prince from an Easterling's fatal spear blow. After Oropher's death in battle and during Thranduil's ascension to the Greenwood throne, Ada provided his support and counsel, inspiring the new King to give him the title of advisor.

So close was their friendship, Thranduil requested he speak the customary blessing on his wedding day. The bridegroom's father traditionally held the honor, but as Oropher's spirit had passed on, Ada was chosen in his stead.

"Did you know the Queen well?"

He looks at me, his half-shadowed face revealing no surprise. The solemn fire's crackle is the room's only sound as he gathers his thoughts. He moves his gaze to the hearth on the opposite wall, the square line of his jaw hardened. I wonder if he had decided not to answer.

"I knew her, though not like Thranduil. She came from the lands of Lindon, and was fairer than the brightest star. But she did not shine as one. She was diminished in countenance, sparing a smile only for a close friend or her child."

"I hardly remember her."

"Even so, you saw Itaril in her happiest days here. She carried more joy in being a mother to Legolas than in being a queen. She gave her life for it, in the end."

I lean forward. "How did it happen? I have never heard the story fully."

"Perhaps after you do, you will wish you remained ignorant."

"I...must know, Ada."

"Very well." He takes a seat at the end of Thranduil's bed, and steeples his hands under his chin. "It was a humid summer day, Thranduil's Aur en-Onnad a few days hence. The Queen was very protective of Legolas, but after his pleading she allowed him to accompany Lord Elros' father to watch him hunt. The forest was not as festered with evil then; orcs and other creatures did not appear within the borders. The Queen had no reason for concern.

Thranduil was away on a trip to Lórien and was due back in time for Mereth Nuin Giliath. If he had been home, things would have ended differently."

"What happened?" I whisper.

"They were attacked by a band of Gundabad orcs. Elros' father was struck by arrows to both limbs, and was unable to save Legolas from being taken captive. It was late evening ere the barely-conscious hunter managed to reach the road and recall the events to a guard. When the Queen heard the news, she was so overwrought she did not delay.

Despite my advice to wait for the King, she gathered her four best soldiers to accompany her north to Mount Gundabad. They stopped neither to eat or rest. The soldiers pled for her to wait, promising her they would be vastly outnumbered at the orc hold and would surely die. But it was not her plan to fight, rather make a bargain. She knew there was a reason the orcs had taken Legolas captive instead of killing him.

When they arrived, the Queen offered herself in Legolas' stead to the orc chieftain. She promised when Thranduil came to retrieve her, he would give them whatever they desired for her safe return, whether it be gold, jewels or land. What was more, she promised if he did not honor the agreement, they could kill her.

The Gundabad orcs were ignorant and greedy, and accepted her offer. They saw an opportunity to claim the Greenwood for their own."

I shake my head. "Surely she knew this plan would never work?"