30. Star of Varda

My Aur en-Onnad arrives as the beech trees cling to their last firey leaves, not yet willing for winter to take them. The paths through the village and forest are covered in foliage of orange and brown, crunching under our boots as Gwendes and I take a late afternoon stroll. I lean my head back and inhale the crisp air. The sky is cloudless, the shade of lapis.

I spend the remainder of the afternoon ensuring everything is in order for the party. My settee is relocated to the back wall to give Caewen ample space to play her harp. I hope my guests will at least enjoy some beautiful music on an otherwise lackluster occasion.

It is with some reluctance I call it a party; I have only invited a small number, and I am not sure how many will show.

Still I have not spoken with Thranduil, even in passing. At suppers he pays me no heed, yet talks freely with my father as though nothing is amiss. Will today be different since it is my Aur en-Onnad? Will he come? My eyes keep darting to my open door, hoping to see him walk through it despite the party not starting for a while.

The uncertainty looms over me like a dark storm cloud. I wish I could forget the day altogether.

Gwendes helps me arrange the food, a decadent spread of roast quail and sweet rolls from by the kitchens, with autumn greens and apple tart. Gwendes' mother baked a tiered cake with frosting the color of lilac, adorned in happy white flowers, insisting it is the least I deserve after the favor I did for her family.

Gwendes' parents are the first to arrive, followed by a lavishly-dressed Lady Aethel and Caewen, whose swan harp is carried in by a young guard. Like a besotted pup, he keeps at Caewen's side even after his task, eager to assist her further. I have the mischievous thought of inviting him to stay, but Aethel dismisses him before I can do so.

I feel a jolt of surprise when Tauriel makes an entrance. I did not expect her to be released from guard duties, but the King gave his consent without rebuke. She has always been more an acquaintance than friend, but it is my hope a friendship will grow. I have long admired her impressive skill in combat, as well as her confidence despite her young age.

Lord Amdiron is the next to arrive, the stern set of his mouth now even sterner since his son's departure. I invited him to spare my father from Aethel's unending prattle should Thranduil not attend, but I now wonder if Aethel would be a better choice.

Everyone finds their seat at the dining table. But it is not until Gwendes reminds me the food is turning cold when I reluctantly give up hope of him coming and join them. My heart feels like a stone weight, and falls to the floor with a dull thud as I sit down.

I turn to Ada beside me. "Did Thranduil give a reason for not attending?"

His brow furrows. "I have not spoken to him today. I assumed..."

I smile tightly, grateful he does not continue. Of course everyone assumed he would attend. Gilrin and Tadion wear the finest apparel they own, having expected to meet the King. Even now their eyes shift to the empty chair at the head of the table, as though expecting him to suddenly appear there.

"He likely had important matters to attend to."

His eyes narrow. "You are not on good terms at present?"

I shift in my seat. "As for my part, we are on good terms. You and I both know his ill moods. Perhaps he is in one tonight."

"Perhaps..."

I had requested my guests not to bring gifts, assuring them their presence was gift enough, but they did not listen. Most arrived with book-shaped packages. My love of reading is well known, but my collection has grown larger than my shelf space. Knowing me best, Gwendes and Ada give me a set of new quills and paints.