20. A Dwarven Story

"Elros was desperate to have found her in only a matter of weeks. I doubt she knows his true nature. Should we warn her?"

My fingers touch the soft feather of my quill. Buttery light from the wall sconces emphasizes the blank parchment resting on my desk. I lift my gaze to Gwendes, who is pacing my scriptorium with the weight of Arda on her shoulders. Save for sleep, she has refused to part from me since our reconciliation.

Though I have enjoyed the return of her companionship, she speaks of nothing but the Keeper of the Keys.

"It is better if we stay out of their affairs," I say. "I have learned my lesson the hard way. It is possible she knows him very well, and accepts him regardless."

"She would have to be as arrogant and prejudiced as Elros to--"

"Enough about our dear Elros." I gesture at the empty parchment. "I am determined to include a portrait of your brother for his book. But I am in need of a good description..."

"Oh...yes." Gwendes blinks, and stops walking. "His hair was red like mine, perhaps a shade darker. He was strongly built with broad shoulders, yet light on his feet. He had Nana's brown eyes and kind smile...I once thought Elros had a kind smile."

"He deceived us both." I breathe in, my patience waning. "Did your brother resemble you in face?"

"He had a wider jaw and nose, but I suppose so. Nana has a portrait of him hanging on our wall. I shall fetch it for you tomorrow."

"Perfect."

She begins to pace again. I imagine her parents are relieved to have a respite. Only three days have passed since Elros' letter, and I long for a respite as well. I can only guess how the past few months have been at the potters' small home.

I look forward to tonight, and some time spent away.

"I am sure his lady will be beautiful," says Gwendes. "You must tell me about her as soon as they arrive. If they are similar in personality, I shall feel better."

"Even if her nature is kind, we cannot think on it further. It was her choice to accept his proposal."

"You are right, but--"

"The day grows late." I stack the blank sheet with ones filled with tidy script. "As you know, I have plans to visit my father tonight. And I insist you reach home before the sun sets."

"You worry too much, my lady."

I bite my tongue. Gwendes has done nothing but worry over Elros since meeting him. In truth, she worries about most everything. Everything but traipsing around the forest unaccompanied despite an attack which took the lives of three guards.

"If our king is concerned, we should be as well." My tone brooks no argument. "I shall see you...tomorrow. Maer daw, mellon."

Once Gwendes leaves, I clear the table and tuck my writings in the drawer. My hand brushes against the cool silver of my mirror. Unsure of what compels me, I grasp the handle and look at my reflection. I rake my fingers through the coarse curls and tuck them behind my ears. Should I change into something nicer? I smooth the soft linen of my green dress. My mismatched eyes stare back at me in the glass. Frowning, I put the mirror away.

My heart thumps in my ears as I cross the narrow bridge over the cavern stream leading to my familiar winding hall. I lift my hand to knock on Ada's wide arch door, then hesitate, feeling strangely self-conscious.

What has come over me? Is it still Elros? His harsh words left a mark on my confidence; perhaps the wound has not yet healed. Yes, that must be it. I suck in a deep breath and knock.