Chapter One - Messenger

Hello all, so sorry this took so long. Fair warning, I am not a constant updater, but I will post things when I can. Thank you so much for reading! - Alex

Percy awoke to the sounds of banging on his door. He had once awoken to a similar sound when Blackjack aroused him to rescue the trapped Ophiotaurus in the middle of the night. But that's a long story. He knew he wasn't going to be that lucky this time.

Sure enough, "Get up Seaweed Brain!" The banging continued. Percy groaned into his pillow. Why do people even bother with alarm clocks? They should just get themselves a girlfriend. Or maybe it only works with children of Athena, he mused.

Bang!Bang!Bang!Boom! "Get up!" Percy leapt stealthily out of bed and tiptoed to his night stand. He grabbed the shield his half-brother Tyson the cyclops had made for him, (another long story), and his ballpoint pen Riptide off the table. He uncapped the pen silently on his way to the door. A faintly glowing bronze blade emerged. Percy leapt forward and flung open the door.

"Yaa-aacckk!" Annabeth's knife was already at his throat.

"Nice try Seaweed Brain," his girlfriend said calmly as she sheathed her dagger. "But you know I'll always beat you. Now come on! It's the last day of camp and I actually want to spend it awake!"

"C'mon Annabeth, It's like the crack of dawn!" He complained.

"No it isn't, It's 7:47!" She snapped back.

"Oh, much better."

Annabeth punched him.

"Hey!"

She had already turned and marched away. Percy jogged after her in an effort to keep up. "Hey, where's Tyson?" He asked, huffing. Annabeth studied him out of the corner of her eye.

"Percy, Tyson left two days ago to go back to Poseidon's Palace."

"Oh, yeah." Awkward silence. "So what did you wake me up at seven for anyway?"

"You know, Percy, you are going to have get used to getting up early, we're starting school again in a few weeks."

"So... You're trying to train me?" He asked as they marched towards the dining pavilion.

"I doubt that would work," Annabeth muttered under her breath.

"Hey! Wait, was that even an insult?"

Annabeth sighed. "Look, Seaweed Brain, the final chariot races are today, remember? I wanted to double check everything before the actual race."

"Oh. Wait, you realize we've already gone over it about fifteen hundred times right? And the race isn't until two! What the heck do you need, hang on," he counted silently in his head. "Like, six hours for?!"

"Percy, what am I going to do with you?"

"What?"

They spent the rest of breakfast arguing, then headed down to the area beside the stables where all the chariots were kept.

...

Yo boss! Blackjack nickered as Percy approached.

Oh dear. Cora thought. Cora was Blackjack's sister, and was just as coal black as her brother, but her personality seemed much more Annabethish to Percy. She was also much grumpier. Originally Percy had thought Cora would go to Annabeth, but then Annabeth got a seventeenth birthday gift from her mom. A steel grey Cretan mare with a temperament to match her coat. The mare was certainly intelligent, but Percy didn't see what other great qualities it had. He had a strong feeling the gift was more about Athena showing up Poseidon than anything else. Annabeth had promptly shoved him when he'd suggested this.