Chapter Six - Textbook Trauma

Finally another chapter! I hope you enjoy it! I have a tendency to break up ships and create new ones, so if there are any ships you want to save, or any you want to see happen, comment and let me know! I love you all! Find joy in life, my kitties! - Alex 

  Annabeth stood in front of the other girls, clasping her hands together in front of her. Thalia, Hazel, Erica, Rachel, Piper, Calypso, Alli, and Reyna all watched her in attention.
"So," she concluded, "I believe the Ministry of Magic is using us as a decoy, while they try to take over more completely, because Harry Potter discovered part of their plan, and they don't want anyone to take him seriously."
"I believe Harry is innocent," Hazel started in a trembling voice. "But are you sure about the Ministry?"
"Of course. What about all the mysterious stuff going on?
"I don't know, maybe that's normal?" she suggested tentively.
Thalia snorted. "I think everyone in the wizarding world is a jerk."
Rachel rolled her eyes. "Oh yes, because Audrey was an absolute demon." She was reclined comfortably on one of the beds, apparently enjoying the wizarding world immensely.
"And would a Ministry really send a Dementor, whatever that is, to hurt a kid?" Piper cautioned.
"Of course they would." Erica said derisively. "I'm not saying I believe you," she added. "But I don't trust them."
"Well, Alli, what do you think?" Annabeth said hopefully, turning towards the corner she had wedged herself in, hopeful of gaining an ally.
Alli shrugged sinking back further.
Annabeth sighed. "Reyna?"
Reyna frowned in concentration. "I agree that Harry was innocent of the crimes he was accused, but I'm not certain he is the perfect hero either. The Ministry is definitely not perfect, but I don't know for sure what is going on."
"So, in summery," Rachel began, "the Ministry is shady, and Harry is innocent. Although," she added, looking as though a worrying thought had just hit her. "What if they're setting us up to fail?"
"I'm sure they're not," Annabeth assured her. "Not after going to all this trouble."
"Speaking of which," Thalia interrupted. "Where are we going shopping?"
Everyone looked at each other.
...
It turns out they were shopping in a place called Diagon Alley, which was... behind the Leaky Cauldron? All fifteen of the demigods, as well as Audrey, were crowded between trashcans in the area behind the inn. For the life of her, Annabeth could not understand what they were doing here, or where this Diagon Alley thing was. So she was reduced to listening to Audrey's animated speech.
"-anyway, I love this place, it never loses it's magic for me."
She turned and tapped the wall three times with her wand.
Annabeth gasped as an archway appeared before her.
Audrey grinned at her. "Welcome to Diagon Alley!"
The demigods stepped forward in a daze, Annabeth couldn't keep her eyes off the fascinating shop fronts and fantastical people. Many of the buildings were leaning in haphazard angles, and Annabeth itched to discover the architecture behind it.
She spotted a apothecary, pet shop, and a store about something called Quidditch.
"Quidditch? What the heck is Quidditch?" Percy asked. "Like a squid with an itch?"
Audrey grinned at them. "You'll see."
Finally the demigods arrived at the end of the street, looking up, and gazing at the most impressive building of all.
"Gringotts bank!" Audrey announced proudly.
Annabeth stared up excitedly, she was thrilled to be entering such a grand building. She paused on the way in to run her fingers across the cool marble pillars in the entrance. Turning back, she nodded at the goblins guarding the heavy bronze doors before stepping into the shady hall with the others. All the demigods were glancing around murmuring in awe. Audrey stopped them before another pair of doors, this time silver, and Annabeth narrowed her eyes to attempt to read the words engraved upon the doors. Frustrated, she turned to Rachel and nudged her.
"Hey, what does the door say?"
Rachel glanced at her and whispered, "it says, 'Enter, stranger, but take heed, Of what awaits the sin of greed, For those who take, but do not earn, Must pay most dearly in their turn. So if you seek beneath our floors, A treasure that was never yours, Thief, you have been warned, beware, Of finding more than treasure there.'"
Glancing over at Rachel, she noticed the red head seemed disconcerted.
"What is it?" Annabeth asked, concerned.
"I'm not sure, it's..." Rachel's eyes seemed to cloud qnd breathed in tightly, fingers curling.
"Rachel?" Annabeth whispered in alarm, placing her hand on her friend's shoulder.
Rachel shook her head, glancing uneasily back at the doors. "I- I'm not certain. It just- it makes me nervous- the warning. I almost want someone to succeed. Like it's important somehow."
Annabeth felt chilled. "Succeed at what?"
Rachel just shook her head. "I'm not sure." As Annabeth opened her mouth  to ask another question, Rachel held up her hand to stop her. "I don't know right now, okay? We can talk about it later." She hurried to catch up with the other demigods, clearly more unnerved than she wished to appear.
The other demigods were all lined up behind a counter, which was lined with goblin like creatures, which Audrey had neglected to explain. She paused in her rapid fire speech to turn and explain this was where they would trade in Muggle money or drachmas and denarii for wizard money. For now, though, the Ministry had provided them with money.
She was interrupted by another goblin coming out with a cart full of little sacks.
"Excellent!" Audrey cried, and, ignoring the goblin, scooped up one of the sacks and examined it. "This is Annabeth's. Annabeth, do you mind?"
Annabeth blinked at her, not understanding the question.
"Excellent. Thank you." Audrey said.
Annabeth blinked again.
Audrey smiled and pulled a small bronze coin from the bag. "This is called a Knut. It is our smallest form of currency." Then she pulled out a silver coin. "This is a sickle. There are twenty three knuts to a sickle. And this," she said, triumphantly holding up a shinning gold coin, "is a galleon. Seventeen silver sickles to a galleon."
Growing bored, Annabeth allowed her eyes to wander about the lavish hall. She noticed Leo was conspicuously absent, and she spun around looking for him frantically with her eyes. Finally, she spotted him, laying down in the middle of the floor, a camera held above his head, clicking away at the chandelier. Annabeth let out an audible groan. Rachel turned at the sound, a question in her eyes. Annabeth nodded towards Leo's sprawled form in the center of the room. Unlike her, Rachel seemed to find the sight amusing, and simply shook her head, her red curls bouncing.
"I wondered when he'd do something like this," she said, chuckling.
Annabeth was about to respond when Audrey called her name.
"Annabeth, why don't you come get your bag first?" She held out the money bag to her, still beaming. Annabeth took hers and retreated to wait for the rest of them to collect their coins.
When everyone had their money, they went back out to street, and Annabeth paused on the steps, blinking the bright sun out of her eyes. It took her a moment to realize Audrey was speaking again.
"-get your books first, then fitted robes and other supplies. After that, we go on to the really fun stuff." She winked at them.
"Now, everyone please get out your supplies lists, and we can be off."
Annabeth immediately produced hers, as did the other girls, but as she looked around, she realized that none of the boys had theirs, with the exception of Nico.
"Percy," Annabeth sighed, "where is your list?"
"Ummm... back at the inn?" he said sheepishly.
Annabeth sighed again. "I suppose you'll have to go get it then, won't you?"
Percy nodded immediately, haring off with most of the boys in tow. Thalia groaned and took off after them.
Annabeth noticed another boy besides Nico had stayed, when she looked, of course it was Leo.
"Leo," she said condescendingly, "don't you need yours as well?"
Leo grinned. "Nope!" Just as Annabeth was preparing to argue, Leo pulled his list out of his belt and held it up. "Never underestimate the belt."
...
After the others had returned, they had all set off to a store called Flourish and Blotts, and Annabeth was eager to see the inside. She was also eager to keep a close eye on Leo though, so she was close enough to hear him ask Audrey if there was a wizard dark side. Annabeth winced at the tactless question, but Audrey didn't seem offended. Instead, she appeared thoughtful. "Well, we don't exactly have a dark side, but we have had many dark wizards in the past, and then recently..." she trailed off. Annabeth felt deep apprehension in her gut. Leo, however, had a slightly different response.
"Everybody, stop!" he declared loudly. Everyone turned to look at him, even Audrey looked slightly concerned. Annabeth felt horrified. What was he doing. "You can't just go in somewhere," he continued. "You have to check for delicious traps! The sublminal messaging is everywhere!"
Everyone stared. What?
"Leo, what are you going on about?" Calypso asked.
He stared at her in disbelief. "Haven't you seen the advertisements for the dark side? 'Come to the dark side, we have cookies.' The cookies are on the dark side! We can't trust anyone!"
Calypso shook her head elegantly. "Star wars. I can't believe you are still obsessed with that. Star Trek has far better commentary."
Leo gasped, pretending to be deeply wounded. "How could you? Betrayel? Et moi?"
"It's "Et tu,"" Rachel corrected.
"Whatever, if you all get taken by the Sith, I'll just have to swoop in with a daring rescue at the last second, just like always."
"Sure, Leo," Piper said, shaking her head, hiding a smile.
"Yes, what dazzling and previously unrevealed magical gifts are you going to shock us all with?" Erica asked dryly.
Leo scoffed. "Who needs magic powers when you're a genius with a magic toolbelt."
With a flourish, he pulled a short cylinder. It was Percy who seemed to realize what it was first, his eyes widened and he took a step forward, but it was James who said it.
"Is that a lightsaber?!"
With a click, Leo proved it was indeed a lightsaber, and when he swished it through the air, it made the distinctive voom sound.
Annabeth snatched it away from him. "Ow!" Her hand was burned as he instinctively twitched it away from her.
"Watch it!" Leo protested. "That's my only prototype!" Catching Percy's eye, he added hastily, "also it's made of plasma, so if you get your hand to close it will burn even if you aren't touching the blade. And uh, we really don't want you to get burned, obviously."
Under Annabeth's glare, he evidently decided he had more pressing matters inside the book shop, tossing Annabeth a salute and darting off with "I'll just check the book place for cookie assasins!"
Percy was right beside Annabeth as she turned around, and took her hand gently in his. "Let me look at that."
"It's not a big deal," Annabeth shrugged. "Barely singed."
"I prefer my girlfriend thoroughly unsinged."
The moisture from the air coalesced in his palm, and cool water eased her stinging hand.
Annabeth couldn't help smiling at him.
She also couldn't help noticing Audrey standing awkawrdly behind them.
"Uh," Audrey started, "people often use salves for burns, but there is a skin repair spell." She cleared her throat. "Let me show you."
The anxious witch tapped her wand against Annabeth's hand and spoke a quick incantation. The little sting that remained dissapeared. Annabeth shook her hand out and smiled at Audrey to ease her nerves. "Thanks."
"No problem, shall we?" She gestured towards the shop.
Annabeth turned back towards Flourish and Blotts. Most of the other demi-gods had already made their way into the shop. Except Alli, who stood watching them. Until she felt Annabeth's gaze, and turned to walk inside.
"What should we do with the lightsaber?" Percy asked, tossing the (now turned-off) weapon in the air. Annabeth snatched it away from him as well.
"The last we need is you and Leo having a lightsaber fight in a bookstore."
"Leo said that's the only one he had," Percy protested. "Besides, orange isn't really my color."
Annabeth just shook her head at him.
When she finally got in the store, she stopped short, thrilled at the sight. The bookstore had the largest range of fascinating books she had ever seen. Large books, tiny books, shiny books, glowing books, books that were talking or singing. She was in heaven. Immediately she forgot about Leo, consulted her list, and set out to get what she needed. Before long, however, she was distracted, as somehow Leo and James had managed to topple an entire bookcase on to a blond haired boy.
She immediately ran forward to help, but Alli got there first. She pulled some books off him and held out her hand to help him up. He ignored her and slapped her hand away.
"Get away from me, mud blood," he snapped.
"That is nonexistent," she said quietly.
"What?" he snapped back at her.
"No one has mud in their veins, nor does anyone have blood the same color as mud. All mortal humans have red blood, immortal beings have gold hued blood, unicorn's blood is silver, while some species of dragon and other magical creatures have blue, green, or blueish green blood, and there are even some instances of creatures of darkness having black  blood, but there are no creatures with blood the color of mud. Unless, of course, you consider mud to be red in color, although blood and mud are very different hues of red, in which case you consider every mortal being to be a mudblood."
The boy stood there, gaping at her, and Annabeth was in just as much shock. That was by far the most Alli had ever said to any of them, and it was entirely by choice.
Finally the boy snorted and glared at her condescendingly. "Whatever." He shoved his way past her towards the door, stomping his feet in irritation. Before he reached the door, he whipped back around. "And immortal beings don't even exist," he sneered.
Alli didn't even turn her head to acknowledge him, behaving as though she hadn't even heard, wandering off to find another book.
After waiting a moment for her to respond, the blond boy snorted again and made for the door, but Annabeth wasn't about to let him go so easily.
"Excuse me," she said, stepping in front of him. "I am Annabeth Chase, daughter of Athena, and I'm afraid you'll find immortal beings do exist, and regardless of whether you like them or not, I would recommend you do not offend them, or Hera may curse you with intestinally challenged cows."
When the boy opened his mouth to respond, she cut in. "And if you need any confirmation, I suggest you ask your Ministry, as they were the ones who invited us here."
The boy sneered again. "Yeah right, my father is a Ministry official and he tells me everything."
"I am surprised he didn't tell you about us then." Satisfied, Annabeth walked away, leaving the little ferret of a boy glaring after her, his gray eyes smoldering with rage and indignation. After casting a glance around, he hurried out of the shop, eager to avoid the rest of them and end his humiliation.