Advice 15 ☼ Audience

Hey, guys, it's me again - Star. This time, we're going to talk a little bit about something that I think all of us think about at one point or another: The audience.

So, the audience—AKA your readers—can be a little intimidating. I mean, they're reading your story and they're dying to know what happens and then there's you, the writer. You are the bearer of their dreams or their nightmares (story wise). Some days you're going to give them a really fluffy, happy, lovable chapter and your readers will love you for all eternity...and then other days you're going to post a chapter that makes them all cry and curse your name and all you can do is hope that they will forgive you by the end.

The sad part is, before we writers upload that chapter or maybe even when we're writing it, we're thinking, "Is this a good chapter? Will my readers like this chapter?" and then we get caught up in the fear that our readers will get bored of our story and want nothing more than to run away from it. 

Generally, unless you do something really illogical (like shoving aliens in a historical fiction) that won't happen. Now that doesn't really get rid of our fear when we're writing or updating because we really want to make a good impression. Times like those I like to remember a fairly interesting quote:

"As a writer, you must never indulge your audience. The audience is your adversary. You must defeat them, which means your writing must have the power to change them."

So, it might be a little intimidating with the whole "Your writing must change them" and what not, but relax. When reading the quote, it actually is trying to encourage you to do what you want. You see, our readers want a happy ever after (generally) and tend to not want conflict or anything because then they get worried that things are going to fall apart.

That's actually why it's tricky because, while they want the smooth story, they need the bumpy one. They thrive off the uncertainty and unknown. They won't admit it, but it's true. So if you're thinking you want to write a chapter where you almost kill off a favorite character but you're scared the readers are going to be mad, do it anyway. While they might have some anger and confusion and probably a little bit of hopelessness, it's just going to make them come back for more!

Happy writing~

Star