07.

Chapter Seven

Annie had gotten used to casting curses in Dark Arts. 

She didn't like it one bit but it was no longer a surprise when Amycus Carrow ordered them to perform curses on one another. A few seemed to enjoy it but Annie hated it. Her arm shook and her voice trembled whenever she was required to perform a curse, while Amycus Carrow snapped at them to just get it over with.

She thought she wouldn't be shocked by a curse they were forced to perform.

That was, until Amycus stepped forward with two fourth-years in tow, and declared they would be practicing the Cruciatus Curse on those who had earned themselves detentions, a horrible grin on his face.

Everyone looked horrified at this. Annie's mouth dropped open and her heart stilled.

That's... that's horrible! It's not humane, surely, there's a reason that curse is an Unforgivable!

Then again... he's a Death Eater... what does he care?

When no one volunteered to forward, Amycus' eyes scourged the room looking for someone - and his eyes rested on Luna.

"Ah yes, Miss Lovegood, you can have the honours of going first," he said, pulling her to the front before the terrified fourth-years.

Luna was pale as a ghost. She swallowed and gripped her wand, only able to raise it halfway at the fourth years. Annie was frozen, terror holding her captive, her breath coming to her on shaky gasps as Amycus' scowl deepened the longer Luna put off performing the curse.

"Miss Lovegood, if you're not going to do it, then you will suffer the consequences," Amycus said dangerously, his eyes narrowed into slits.

Luna's arm trembled as she tried to raise it, but she couldn't. Her arm fell to her side.

Amycus was livid. He produced his wand in a flourish and had it pointed at the blonde girl.

"No! Don't!" Annie screamed at once, slamming her hands on the table.

A deathly silence fell over class. Annie swallowed when Amycus' beady eyes slowly turned to settle on her.

She hadn't been able to stop herself. The mere thought of Luna's kind, beautiful face twisted in agony was enough to make Annie feel like throwing up. She couldn't allow Luna to go through that, she just couldn't.

"Would you prefer a dowse of Cruciatus yourself, Miss Wilkinson?" he questioned in a silly voice.

Annie's mouth was dry and her heart was beating rapidly, but she still raised her chin. "I would."

"Annie, no!" Luna exclaimed, her voice losing its mystic and dreamy quality for the first time since Annie had known her. "I'll be fine, really -"

"Shut your mouth and sit down, Miss Lovegood, Miss Wilkinson has already volunteered herself," Amycus snapped. Spiteful, horrid delight was in his smile as he beckoned to the front. "Come to the front, Miss Wilkinson, everyone needs a clear view."

Annie's heart was in her throat, but she still pushed back her chair and stood, slowly making her way to the front. She felt like she was walking in a daze, she was so terrified.

As she passed Ginny, Annie saw the redhead open her mouth in protest, but Annie shook her head and silenced her with a look. The rest of the class was too terrified to even move.

Annie caught Luna's eye, and her pale eyes were wide, her lips white from where she had been biting down on it. Annie thought she caught a hint of blood seep through the cracked skin.