12.

Chapter Twelve

Dear Luna,

I don't know why I'm writing to you in the first place. You'll never receive this. But writing everything down makes me feel so much better - it's the closest way I have of talking to you. At least I can pretend that one day, you'll read the messages I have for you. I could talk to you about anything and everything, Luna, so that's what I'm going to write to you about.

The Carrows have stepped up a notch since you were here. It's getting harder and harder to communicate, since there's been a crackdown on inter-house communication. I can barely even look at Ginny and Neville in the corridors without risking a detention - it's all to try and prevent the DA from organising ourselves. The Carrows can't do anything in classes, of course, unless they separated classes into Houses and I think that would he just a little too difficult.

They're getting harsher with punishment, too. Just the other day Seamus Finnigan told us at our DA meeting he was beaten by Alecto for speaking out in Muggle Studies. Similar fates met Neville and myself, and in my year Alice Harper and Nicholas Day were done in Dark Arts for refusing to practice the Cruciatus curse. It's been horrible, you get beatings for doing nothing, Madam Pomfrey is in a right old state. She's been forbidden to heal injuries so that we all 'learn' - but didn't stop her sneaking me a paste for my swollen lip.

The only bright aspects of life at Hogwarts are the DA meetings, but with a crackdown on security they're becoming harder to perform. We're not backing down, though. I've joined Neville and Ginny planning and operating our stunts. We've recruited a number of younger students and keep causing havoc in general. The Carrows are furious, they still don't know how we communicate, and it's almost funny watching them demand us to turn out our pockets to see how we're communicating. They never look twice at the Galleons we're always carrying.

Lessons are okay. The teachers are all looking out for us. Professor Sprout in particular has been really decent to me. I think she knew just how close the two of us were.

Hogwarts is a much darker place without you, Luna. Your smile always brightened the dark corridors, and your positive outlook is dearly missed.

Dammit, I miss you, Luna. You are my best friend and I've become closer to you than I've become to anyone. I miss you so much that it's like a constant ache in my chest. Every night I go to sleep hoping that I'll at least be able to see you in my dreams.

But we're still fighting. I'm not forgetting you, Luna. I get up and fight through each day because of you. You were so brave, and I can only hope I can be at least half as strong as you are.

Wherever you are, I hope you're safe, and by Merlin I pray every night you're alive.

Hoping to see you again one day,

With much love,

Annie.

+++

The scent of old books surrounded Annie as she walked along the Magical Creatures section of the library, her finger trailing against all of the old volumes as she studied each title. Harris had set them homework that required extra reading material, and Annie knew the library would have something.

She frowned at each title, trying to decide which would be the most useful, when she came to a stop in front of a very familiar title - yet it was one that made her heart skip a beat.

Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.

"Luna," Annie breathed.

Without thinking, she pulled the book from the shelf and opened it, loses herself in the pages of writing.

This was Luna's favourite book. Holding it was like carrying a piece of Luna with her. Annie smiled sadly as she read through the numerous pages of Scamander's writing, describing any and every magical beast.

Annie could definitely see why it was Luna's favourite.

Annie flicked through the book until she reached the very end page. She stared at it for a moment, heart heavy, then put the book back on the shelf.

"I'll be back," she whispered, and without grabbing the book she needed she left the library.

She'd be back for the book, just like she'd be back for Luna one day.

Annie would do whatever it took to just lay eyes on Luna Lovegood once again.

**********

so this is just a short chapter of sorts to show how annie's coping at hogwarts, a longer chapter will be up tomorrow!!