epilogue

Epilogue; 18 Years Later

Annie stepped into her living room, the mostly packed trunk in the middle of the room being the first thing she saw. She smiled, thinking how just this morning, Eva had been packing a similar trunk on her rush to get to Hogwarts – even though both Annie and Luna had told her to be finished packing by the previous day to avoid such a last-minute rush. They'd got her to Platform Nine and Three-Quarters on time, though, felt her warm embrace as she hugged and kissed both of them in turn, then leapt on to the train just before it began to pull out of the station. Her smiling face in the window was what Annie remembered dearly as she and Luna returned home.

Annie glanced fondly at the picture on the mantlepiece; herself, Luna, and Eva huddled together, arms around each other, all of them laughing. Eva's dark eyes sparkled as Luna and Annie held their adopted daughter tightly, her beautiful chocolate skin contrasting greatly against the fair tone of her two mothers.

Annie had loved Eva the minute she'd laid eyes on her, and she knew Luna had as well. The years after the Battle of Hogwarts had been hard. They'd gone back to finish their final year, which had been the hardest year of schooling – not just because of NEWT exams, but because of the memories that still filled the corridors, of the terror of the Carrows and the screams of battle. Having Luna and Ginny by her side had definitely helped; Luna had been a constant source of reassurance, love, and comfort, while Ginny had been the fiery and determined friend constantly at their side and snapping at anyone who might have something to say about Annie and Luna's relationship. For the most part, they had little trouble, and they'd gotten through the exams fairly well. Annie, as everyone expected, topped Herbology with an easy 'Outstanding' grade, while Luna graded highest for Care of Magical Creatures.

The following five years were just as difficult – finding work, keeping up with friends, and waiting for the final Death Eaters to be captured. Grief still lingered over the battle, but slowly, things began to heal. Annie doubted that the nightmares would ever go away for even today, she still woke up on occasion, breath laboured due to a nightmare of the battle, of the people she'd killed and the friends she'd lost. It would never truly go away,

But by the sixth year, things had settled down. Annie had secured a job as a Herbologist and spent her days in various greenhouses, overseeing the breeding of new plants and tending to others to be used for potions. Luna had become a naturalist, and had already discovered and classified several new species. It was then, when life seemed to be going normally once again, that they discussed their future – and they both wanted to adopt a child.

Annie had been wanting to adopt for a while, ever since she'd laid eyes on Teddy Lupin and helped care for him, as well as Bill and Fleur's children. She'd loved playing with them and caring for them, and had been elated to learn Luna desired the same thing. So after a lot of planning and organising, they'd arrived at the orphanage and adopted Eva, who had been two at the time, and brought her home.

Eva may as well have been their own daughter. She was a constant source of light and laughter, and was one of the happiest girls Annie had ever seen. Eva was spoiled rotten and now, at the age of twelve, had discovered a passion for photography and drawing; something she'd developed after the occasional job took Annie and Luna overseas, and she'd capture the new plants and animals and countries they visited. Half of her trunk consisted of new paints and pencils and film for her most prized Polaroid camera. Annie knew that when she next saw Eva, she'd have pictures of herself and her friends laughing, playing Quidditch, and spending time in the vast Hogwarts grounds.

Annie loved Eva with the bottom of her heart, and looked at her as her own daughter. But now she was at Hogwarts and she and Luna had time to themselves, they'd decided to do the thing they'd dreamed of for years – a trip around the world to observe new plants and animals in countries outside of Europe, and immerse themselves in new cultures. Annie felt like a schoolgirl again, excited and enthusiastic. Her mother and father had already agreed to take in Eva during the Christmas holidays if she so desired, though Annie felt that Eva would rather go and visit the Potters, who she was close to – especially James, since they were in the same year.

"Wrackspurt caught you?"

Annie blinked and turned around, and smiled to see Luna enter the bedroom. "No – just making sure we packed everything for the trip tomorrow," she said, standing up and giving Luna a warm embrace. "I'll miss Eva, though, and everyone else."

"It won't be forever," Luna mused. "We'll be back before we know it."

"Too true," Annie hummed, and they then busied themselves with last-minute packing.

As Annie collapsed into bed that night, she stayed up later than Luna, eyes wide open and staring at the ceiling.

The past few years may not have been easy, but they were made so much better by having Luna at her side. Luna, who was there with a gentle embrace whenever Annie awoke from a nightmare, and came back once she'd calmed down with tea or hot chocolate. Luna, whose kisses made Annie feel like she was walking amongst the stars. Luna, whose golden heart and bright smile shone through the darkest of times. Luna, who Annie loved with all of her being.

Their friends had accepted their relationship almost instantly – Ginny actually throwing her hands in the air and crying, "Well, it's about bloody time you two!" to general laughter. And there was nothing Annie loved more than waking up to see Luna's face beside hers each day; she loved watching Luna lumber through tiredness in the early morning with the worst (and yet most adorable) bed hair Annie had ever seen; loved working together in the outdoors – they'd bought a small cottage in the country together, on a large farm, and it was filled with plants and animals. She loved drinking tea together outside, or just reading together, lying with her head on Luna's shoulder as they absorbed in the views or taking long walks in the country, or cooking together and ending up with more flour on the floor and their clothes than in the mixture itself.

Being with Luna was easier than breathing, and Annie thought that each day, she noticed another small little thing about Luna that made her fall even more in love. She truthfully would not have it any other way. Things had turned out for the better, for sure, and Luna would always be there to see it through the good times and the bad – though Annie had faith, things would eventually end up for the better.

Just before Annie succumbed to sleep, one of Luna's eyes opened. For a moment they stared at each other, then Luna smiled and found Annie's hand, holding it gently before her eyes fluttered closed and she fell asleep once more.

Yes, Annie thought, a smile on her lips as she drifted off to sleep, things were definitely going to be okay.

**********

so..... that's the end, friends!

i just want to thank everyone who has ever supported this story, you guys are all amazing. thank you for loving annie and luna as much as i have, for sticking with annie and for voting, commenting, and reading - i treasure every one, i really do.

i love you all! thank you once again for all of your support and i hope you continue to stick with me in my future works!! <3

also, there will be no sequel. i feels like things were left off just right here!