13.

Chapter Thirteen;

"Annie? Annie, come on, you can't stay hauled up in here all day."

Annie, though bleary eyed and tired beyond belief, did not look up even as Ginny sat down beside her. She instead stared resolutely down at the book in front of her despite not taking in a word, unable to read due to how the black letters blurred together out of exhaustion.

It wasn't even that late - lessons had only finished an hour and a half ago, but ever since she came back to Hogwarts Annie hadn't slept well. Fear was her constant companion. The Carrows ruled with their malicious smirks and the Cruciatus curse and darkness had descended upon the castle. They struggled - oh yes, they fought back as best they could but things were slowly becoming more difficult. People were being caught on occasion. Some wanted no more business in Dumbledore's Army since they were frightened of the possible repercussions.

They tried to find the light, but it was growing dimmer by the day. And Luna wasn't there to chase away the darkness with her bright hair, her radiant smile, her golden heart or beautiful spirit. Laughter didn't pass Annie's lips anymore. She had one instinct left: endure. Keep fighting and show the Carrows that she hadn't been broken.

She had to keep going. For Luna.

"I'd rather not get a detention for not finishing my homework, Ginny," Annie protested weakly.

Ginny frowned and inspected the essay in front of Annie, which she had in fact not touched since she sat down in the library. "You've written eight inches more than me, and you've covered everything McGonagall wanted us to." She frowned. "You're stalling, Annie, I know. You're refusing to get out, refusing to let yourself do anything but mourn. And - this isn't even Transfiguration!" she exclaimed, snatching away the book Annie had open in front of her. Ginny gaped as she flicked through the book. "It's... good lord. How did you get permission for this book? How'd you smuggle it in?"

Annie grabbed it and pulled it back; Ginny made no protest. "Shut up, Ginny," she mumbled, and hid the book underneath her Transfiguration one.

"I won't," Ginny said firmly. "Not until you snap out of this funk. Annie, you're not the only one that misses Luna." She swallowed; for a moment, her eyes were misty. "I... I miss her," Ginny whispered, "Terribly. I'm feeling her loss as much as you are. And so is Neville. And Colin, and Seamus, and Padma Patil... did you honestly think you were the only one who missed Luna?"

Annie squirmed in her seat. "No," she choked out. "I didn't think - not like that. I was just -" she wiped away a tear "- so helpless..."

"Annie -"

"I was standing in front of her and they still took her!" Annie exploded. She hid her head in her hands. "If only I'd defended her, if I knew more... it's my fault she's gone."

Ginny rested her hands on Annie's shoulders. "Annie Wilkinson, it is not your fault," she insisted. "Neville and I were in the same carriage, and we were powerless as well. It's no one's fault by You-Know-Who's. If you had stood up to them, anyway, I bet you would be in Azkaban right now."

Annie hung her head. "Then I should be with her. I hate the thought of her all alone."

"Please don't do this to yourself Annie," Ginny begged. "Luna would hate it. I'm sure she's alive, and surviving. Our Luna is pretty tough, you know?" Somehow, the corner of Annie's mouth twitched into what was a brief smile. It faded, but Ginny sent her an encouraging smile. "It'll take more than Azkaban to break her. She'd want you to be like her. Be strong, move on, keep fighting. You can do that, right?"

"I think so."

"I know so." Ginny squeezed Annie's shoulder and stood up. "Come on, during dinner tonight, Hagrid's hosting a Support Harry Potter party. I think that might cheer you up a bit."

Annie crashed a smile. "That'd be nice."

The two remained in the library, Annie confessing everything to Ginny in a low voice, revelling in the feeling of getting all the weight off her chest. They stayed there until it was time for dinner, and while everyone else was headed to the Great Hall Annie, Ginny, Neville, and other members of the DA slipped off into the grounds toward Hagrid's hut.

The party was simple, but Annie thoroughly enjoyed being amongst the member of the DA, abusing the Carrows and talking about Harry without fear of anyone overhearing, of talking and yelling instead of whispering in hushed voices. Hagrid provided plentiful amounts of food, though both Ginny and Neville warned Annie to be careful with what she ate. She decided to risk a rock cake and ended up nearly breaking her teeth.

All concepts of time were forgotten; Annie stuck close to Ginny and was surprised to find what a weight was lifted off her shoulder as she laughed with the others. She hadn't felt nearly this happy since Luna had been at the school.

It was a night too good to be true - and that was why, Annie supposed, it had to come to an end.

"Were more people coming?" Colin Creevey inquired at one point during the night. He stood by the window and frowned.

Ginny pushed her way to the front, her face suddenly so pale that all her freckles stood out. She joined Colin and squinted outside; the rest of the room had frozen as they watched the two.

Then Ginny sucked in a breath and Colin groaned; they exchanged a terrified glance before they turned to the others.

"The Carrows," Ginny breathed.

The two words caused a halt of all activities. Eyes flicked, fearful, toward the door. Terror was frozen on everyone's faces and they stepped away from the door.

"We can't hide," Ernie Macmillan pointed out.

Fear spiked high within Annie. The Carrows wouldn't let this go. Their retribution was going to be harsh - the mere thought of punishments they could inflict made her insides turn into jelly.

Hagrid drew himself to full height, though he looked at the gathered students with fond eyes. "I'll distract 'em. You all need ter get out of here, okay?"

There was an outbreak of protests and raised voices.

"Hagrid, we can't leave you!" Neville yelled, his voice carrying above the babble of the others. 

"Yer bloody well can!" Hagrid proclaimed fiercely. "I'm a teacher, Neville, and you'll listen ter what I say, yer hear? Besides, it'll take more than those Carrows to stop me!"

No one liked the idea, but with grim and dispirited hearts, they agreed. Annie found herself in a swarm of people headed for the back exit, where they poured outside and ran like the devil as the voices of Hagrid and the Carrows carried through the night - Hagrid's voice was booming, while both the Carrows screamed.

Annie wiped her eyes and forced herself not to look back as she scrambled back to the castle, all the while praying that Hagrid would be okay.