Chapter 1

You know that feeling where you put a spoon or a fork in your mouth and it tastes like bubbles or some weird thing?

Yeah, Percy had that.

"Again with this?" Percy pouted as he took the utensil out of his mouth. He looked up when it was taken out of his hand and replaced with another.

His mother smiled down at him, her multi-colored eyes twinkling, as she ruffled his hair, "Sorry about that, Percy. Do you want more spaghetti?"

Percy nodded, "Yes, please! I love you, Mommy!"

----------

"Percy, stay on this side so you don't get wet," Sally, Percy's mother, said, gently tugging her son to her right side.

Percy resisted, staying next to the road, "No, if I do then you'll get wet. I'll protect you, Mom!"

Sally smiled, little tears lining her eyes, "My little hero."

----------

Percy's eyes snapped open and he sat up, feeling the tears stream down his face. Just a dream...

Looking at his hands, Percy took a shaky breath before getting ready for school. He went to a small elementary school. The teachers were nice but he knew they were getting frustrated with his lack of speech. He didn't care. He didn't want to talk to anyone anyway.

He carefully got up, his side stinging with unwanted pain. Gabe had come home drunk last night and saw him in the kitchen. He decided to slam little Percy against the counter. He was harsher when he didn't get the satisfaction of a scream.

After taking a quick shower, studying the bruise near his ribs, Percy put on his school clothes and shoes, shouldering his bag. He silently made his way to the living room, hoping that Gabe wasn't up. Luckily, the man was passed out on the couch, empty bottles of alcohol lying around him. Deciding that sticking around was not the best idea, Percy made his way out the door and onto the sidewalk.

The path to the school was bustling with New Yorkers, always in a hurry. He took a different way, one less crowded, making sure his little wallet was safely tucked in his pocket of his hoodie. He didn't want to lose the only picture he had of his mother...

Shaking his head, Percy quickened his pace, not looking where he was going, until he collided with someone. He let out a silent shout, falling down, and looked up at the man.

The man had black-brown hair, neatly combed back, and a goatee. In one hand, he held a shiny red briefcase and held an empty coffee cup in the other. He seemed to be staring at the coffee staining the front of his, surely to be, expensive suit. "Sorry, Kid." The man said instead of shouting at Percy, like he expected.

Percy's mouth moved up and down, wondering what he should do, before his brain caught up with him. Digging into his bag, Percy took out a small packet of napkins, something he took to school because he somehow managed to spill everything. He held out the packet, gesturing shyly for the man to give him his cup.

The man looked at the cup, then at the napkins, before handing it over. Almost hesitantly, he took the packet, using some to, at least, dry his shirt. He looked into the boy's, shockingly, bright green eyes and gave a small grin, "It's no big deal. It's just a shirt." He could tell before that the young boy, who seemed to be only six, wanted to apologize but couldn't. He was observant, noticing the way that no sound came out of his mouth when he fell.

Percy sighed with relief and the man's eyes twinkled. Taking the packet of napkins back, the young boy looked at his Iron Man watch (something that caused the man to chuckle for some odd reason) , eyes widening when he saw the time. He threw the packet into his bag, waving at the man, before taking off again.

"Mr. Stark!"

Tony Stark turned his head and saw his guardian/friend, Happy, sitting in the driver's seat of the car, waiting for him. He looked back towards the direction the six year old had ran off, "Yeah, I'm coming!"