Chapter 3

It's Friday! Percy squealed to himself, nearly skipping down the sidewalk as he headed home. Then, a thought hit him, Three days with Smelly Gabe... His happy mood vanished, causing him to drag his feet the rest of the way home. If his luck was good, Gabe wouldn't be home or, if he was, he would be passed out somewhere.

As fate would have it, Percy had the worst luck.

Smelly Gabe was home, drunk, and angry. "Yewr late, brat," The...thing...slurred. He took a step forward and Percy had to take one back because of the stench of his breath. He never liked smelling alcohol. It always gave him a headache.

"J-just by a m-minute..." Percy said, voice shaking with fear as he held up his small Iron Man watch. He was never allowed to hide his voice from him. It always made the pain worse.

"I don' care what the time is!" Gabe snapped, smacking the boy across the face causing him to hit the ground, the watch shattering. "If I say you're late then you're late, understand?!"

Percy nodded frantically, too scared to actually say anything anymore.

"Good. I don't want to hear your god awful voice again! Get out of my sight!"

Percy got up stiffly, all but scrambling out of the door, away from the demon in the apartment. Gotta get out! Gotta get out! Where to? Percy's thoughts were a mess, all going a mile a minute. He decided to let his feet take him wherever and, somewhat, regretted it when he crashed into someone.

Xxxxxxxxxxx

Tony Stark was taking another stroll down the street, hood up and coffee in his hands, as he whistled a soft tune.

His mind, for whatever reason, kept going back to the kid he saw just a few days ago. He was cute; messy black hair and wide, innocent sea-green (sea-green!) eyes, and silly lopsided grin. Tony wondered to himself if he'd ever see the boy again.

Suddenly, he felt something crash into him and his coffee went flying (yet again, Tony noted, landing on his shirt). He looked down, holding his ground after stumbling back slightly, and met fearful sea-green eyes.

Well, what do you know...

Tony took that moment to study the boy. His clothes were rumpled and he had a nasty bruise just starting to bloom on his cheek. His small Iron Man watch was broken, the picture inside slightly ripped.

Immediately, the Stark went into protective-genius mode, "Who did this to you?"

Percy just shook his head, gulping and shaking in fear. He kept looking behind him, as if expecting a monster to jump out. He looked back at Tony, almost pleading with his eyes for him to take him away.

"Come on, kid," Tony gently hoisted the kid to his feet, watching as the boy clung to his pant leg. "Let me put my jacket inside my car and then we can get ice cream or something," Tony grinned, unzipping his coffee-stained jacket. He ruffled the boy's hair, "Is that okay with you?"

Percy sniffled, rubbing his eyes, as he nodded. He took Tony's hand, taking the genius by surprise. Mr. Tony is so nice. I wish I could stay with him...

Tony squeezed the little hand lightly, leading him over to the car where he dropped off his jacket. "I know this great place we can go to," Tony grinned childishly. "They have the best ice cream ever."

Percy watched as they arrived at a small shop by the name of Johnny's. It was a light blue (which already earned Percy's favor) with yellow shutters that went well with the base. It was owned by a young couple, a blonde haired man and a brown haired woman. The man must have been the son of Johnny, the previous owner who passed away.

"Hello, again, Mr. Stark," The woman smiled warmly, giving the man a quick hug. "Who's this?" She looked down at Percy, who tried to hide behind Tony's leg.

"Ah," Tony laughed, scratching the back of his head sheepishly. "I actually don't know. We literally ran into each other a couple of times. He doesn't talk so I don't know his name."

Percy hopped up on a stool, struggling slightly, and grabbed a napkin, making grabby hands towards a pen. When the man, Richard, he figured by the name tag, handed him a black pen, he quickly scribbled something down as neat as possible.

Percy.

"Percy, huh?" Tony ruffled the six year old's hair, "It suits you. Now," He sat on the stool next to the boy. "What kind of ice cream do you want?"

Percy looked around, searching for any sign to help him speak the flavor he wanted, before pointing at the counter top.

"Blue?" Tony asked, making sure he got it right.

Percy smiled widely, nodding rapidly. He wiggled in his seat, excited to have the cold dessert.

Tony looked to the lady, Clare, with a serious face, "He wants blue."

Clare giggled to herself and motioned for her husband to get the small cup, "And what will you be having?"

"Mm... I'm thinking... chocolate," Tony grinned.

Richard nodded, scooping the dessert, "A wise choice. Clare says she prefers vanilla." He fake shuddered, laughing when his wife smacked his arm playfully.

Percy nearly squealed in delight when he got his ice cream, smiling his thanks. Soon, his face was a mess of blueberry ice cream, and he sat in his seat flexing his sticky hand covered in the melted dessert.

"Ah, geez," Tony mumbled to himself, gently taking one of Percy's hands and cleaning it with a wet napkin he received from Clare. After, he discarded it for another, proceeding to clean the boy's face.

Percy looked at Tony in awe. He was helping him? Mr. Tony's so nice! No one's ever this nice to me! Mr. Tony's the best!

Tony was surprised when his arms were suddenly filled with a grinning six year old who wouldn't stop giggling. Soon, he found himself giggling along with the infectious laughter bubbling from the boy.