Chapter 8

Percy tossed and turned in his sleep, whimpering softly and shuddering occasionally. Suddenly, he bolted up, barely managing to hold back a scream. He threw off his covers, padding towards his door quickly. He looked up, vaguely remembering Tony doing the same, and said softly, "Um... M-Mr. Jarvis?"

   "Yes, Master Jackson?" Jarvis responded just as softly as to not frighten the child.

   "W-Where's Mr. Tony's r-room?"

    "It is just across the hall."

    "T-thank you, Mr. Jarvis," Percy said, going on his tippy toes to open the door.

   "You're welcome, Master Jackson."

    "Y-you can call me Percy," The six year old decided, finally opening the door.

    There was a hint of a smile in the AI's voice as he said, "As you wish, Percy."

   Percy walked towards Tony's door, managing to open his easier, and slowly entered. He could see the genius asleep (for once) on his bed and made his way over, "M-Mr. Tony?" He gently poked the man's cheek, tilting his head and giggling when the billionaire scrunched up his nose, before trying again, "Mr. Tony?"

    "Mm, Percy?" Tony looked at the child, sitting up, "Hey, Kiddo, what's wrong?"

   Percy sniffled, remembering why he woke up in the first place, and he felt tears brimming his eyes, "I-I had a nightmare..."

    "Oh, Percy," Tony scooped the child in his arms, rubbing his back as the child cried softly. "Do you want to talk about it?"

    Percy shook his head, clinging onto the man tightly, "No."

    "Okay, we won't," Tony set the boy on the bed, bringing the covers over him. "Get some sleep, Kiddo. We still got a couple of hours."

    "Until when?" Percy asked, peering up at the genius as he snuggled in his side.

    "Until Cap wakes us up at an ungodly hour."

    "Aw, man," Percy groaned before yawning. "Night, Mr. Tony."

    "Night, Percy."

Xxxxxxxxxxx

    "Rise and shine, Percy!" Tony exclaimed, hitting the child lightly with a pillow.

    Percy wiggled around before moving the blankets from in front of his eyes to glare at the genius. He was way too perky when it's only seven in the morning. Sitting up slightly, Percy stared at the coffee cup in the Stark's hand enviously before flopping back down with a groan.

    Tony gave an over-exaggerated sigh, walking towards the door, "I guess I can tell Steve that we don't need the extra coffee..."

   Percy practically fell off the bed as he ran to the kitchen, the covers falling to the floor in his haste. He barely managed to dodge Bruce, who was making his way towards the kitchen, waving behind him.

   "Huh," Tony looked at where he ran off and back at the bedroom. "I guess this means I clean up..."

Xxxxxxxxxxx

   Percy sat at the table just watching the Avengers do their morning routine. He watched Natasha move around, all graceful and fluid like she wasn't up at seven in the morning, and Steve flip the pancakes with expert precision and Percy wasn't sure if it came from the super soldier serum or Steve's own skill but the six year old could feel his mouth watering already. Tony had momentarily escaped to his lab, something about showing his science bro a project, and Bruce followed. Clint was perched on top of the fridge, clutching a purple mug close to him as he hummed in content.

   'Maybe', Percy thought to himself as he nursed his own (albeit tiny) cup of coffee, 'this is what a family is like.' When Natasha threw a knife at Clint and the archer dodged effortlessly, Percy would giggle to himself and add, 'Or maybe it's just an awesome superhero one.'

   "Hey, Percy, what kind of pancakes do you want?" Steve called and Percy noticed some batter on his nose.

   The six year old looked around for a moment before spotting one of his forgotten crayons on the table. He grabbed it, lifting it up for the super soldier to see.

   Steve scrunched his eyebrows together in confusion when he saw the blue crayon until it dawned on him, "Oh, blueberry! Gotcha."

   Percy smiled, obviously pleased with himself, and set the object down. He looked up when Natasha sat to his right, placing his plate in front of him. He beamed up at her in thanks before drowning his pancake in syrup, ignoring Clint's look.

   "Yes, pancakes!" Tony cheered, striding into the kitchen followed by Bruce, "Cap, you are the best- after me, of course."

   "Mm!" Percy said from the kitchen, waving his fork at the genius while glaring cutely.

   Tony grinned and turned back to Steve, "And Percy."

   The soldier shook his head fondly and handed the billionaire a plate with two fluffy chocolate chip pancakes, "Just go eat. Where's Thor?"

   "FRIENDS!" Thor boomed, walking inside the large (thank the gods) kitchen with his arms spread out, "What a joyous morning today is!"

   Steve just smiled at the god and placed a plate down on the table, stacked high with different kinds of pancakes. He brought his own plate over before snagging the syrup from Tony, who gave out a cry of distress.

   "So, what are we going to do so we can understand Percy better?" Clint asked, migrating over towards the counter.

   "I think Perseus is quite expressive already!" Thor said, smiling widely and all talking stopped.

   "Perseus?" Steve asked Thor.

   The god, however, was looking at Percy, who narrowed his eyes at the blonde. He blinked when the boy suddenly beamed at him excitedly.

   "...I'll think of something," Tony said after a moment, looking at Thor and Percy strangely. "I don't know about you guys but I'm getting some more pancakes!"

   "I didn't make any more," Steve said, not looking up from his food.

   "Aw, come on!"