Chapter 25

WARNING: Percy sufferers from a panic attack and what happens in this chapter may trigger some people. Gabe has a gun on him and Percy obviously thinks he's going to die. If this bothers you in any way and you cannot read it, message me and I will tell you what happened in a way that will not harm you.

Read with caution.

-- Yukimoto-Namikaze :}

Xxxxxxxxxxx

When Tony and the Winter Soldier arrived at the school, it was chaos. Parents were crowded at the front, screaming about how their children were inside with a maniac with a gun. Natasha and Bruce were trying to get into the building but people were grabbing onto them, begging them to do something- which prevented the two heroes from getting to the kids.

"I will get inside," The Winter Soldier told Tony, looking on at the crowd in determination. He scanned for any entry points and wanted to frown when he didn't see any on the sides. Finally, he spotted one. The landing would be tricky but, at the moment, Winter didn't care about finesse. He wanted to get to Percy as soon as possible, wanted to see the boy safe and sound and unharmed. He wanted to put Ugliano in the ground.

He wanted. For the first time, the Winter Soldier wanted something.

And he would get it.

"Get that fucker away from our kid," The genius snarled, eyes dark. His hands were clenched tightly but he knew he had to help Natasha and Bruce with the crowd. He couldn't go in with his armor in risk of bullets bouncing off, and he couldn't go without it.

The Winter Soldier didn't need to be told twice as he ran forward, managing to dive over the top of the crowd, landing on the other side in a neat crouch. He didn't respond to any of the parents, instead opening the door as quietly as possible when the lady Tony said was Percy's teacher pointed at another room.

He nodded at her, moving through the area quietly so he could peek around the doorframe to assess the situation.

"Come out, you little bitch!" Gabe Ugliano looked manic as he swung his gun around. His clothes were dirty and his hair was greasy, and it looked like he hadn't showered in weeks. The man's cheeks were red, meaning he was probably fairly drunk, and he didn't seem bothered by the terrified children around him. "Come out so I can kill you!"

Winter frowned heavily and clenched his metal fist by his side. He couldn't charge in, not with the risk of the man harming the children in the room. He would have to get Ugliano's attention somehow while helping the kids. How could he do that and-

"Hey," Ms. Lamber whispered to the assassin, crouching down across from him by the door. Her eyes were determined as she looked at him, "You distract him. I'll get the children out of here."

He stared at her for a moment before nodding. He stood up a little and walked on silent feet just outside of Ugliano's vision. He had to get his hand on the gun, that was his top priority. He couldn't let the weapon go off and hit any of the children. He drowned out the crowd of parents outside and focused on his target. In the span of his first breath and the next, his metal hand shot forward and crushed the barrel of the disgusting man's gun.

Ugliano tried to fight back but Winter was not in the mood to play around today and he headbutt him. When the man fell to the ground, he stepped on his hand, satisfied with the way the bones snapped. Ugliano screamed but his eyes suddenly darted to the side, his mouth curving into a sickening grin even through the pain.

Winter followed his line of sight in time for Ugliano to wrench his hand free and charge over to where they both could see Percy peeking around a bookshelf timidly.

--

Percy felt like he couldn't breathe.

Was he going to die?

The small six year-old, almost seven, was crouched behind a bookshelf, his shoulders shaking as he tried to hold in his sobs. He wanted his daddy. He wanted Jim Jam and Mr. America and Auntie Tash and Uncle Birdie. He just wanted to go home! Why did this have to happen to him? 

Gabe's voice was getting louder, his steps coming closer, and Percy couldn't move. He was trembling so bad and his lungs hurt from holding in his crying. He knew his cheeks were probably red from where he was holding his hands to his mouth but he didn't care. He couldn't see much, his tears clouding his vision, but he could almost see Smelly Gabe perfectly in his mind and it terrified him.

"I know you're here!"

Oh, gods, he was going to die...

He couldn't help a small gasp of surprise when Smelly Gabe screamed in shocked surprise. He dared to peek around the small bookshelf and his eyes widened in surprise when he saw Minty crush Smelly Gabe's gun in his metal hand. Smelly Gabe tried to fight the assassin but Minty didn't even budge, headbutting the man so he fell to his knees.

Percy lowered his hands and he beamed from where he was still hidden. He saw his teacher slowly getting the other kids out of the building and his smile somehow widened. She was his favorite, she was so brave. Ms. Lamber was like a superhero!

Smelly Gabe suddenly moved away from Minty, his face screwed up with anger as came towards Percy. The small six year-old screamed but his legs wouldn't move. Sobs ripped out of his throat and his chest heaved, but his legs just wouldn't move.

"Leave him alone!" A voice squeaked, sounding about eight or nine. The person threw a thick book at Smelly Gabe, hitting him on the back of his head. "Don't touch him!" They continued to throw anything close to them at the man as he turned to glare at them. 

When Winter came back over to Ugliano, the person darted over to Percy, grabbing one of his arms and hauling him to his feet, "Come on, we gotta go!" They proceeded to dart further into the building since Ugliano and Winter blocked the exit.

The person took him inside an empty classroom and they crawled under the teacher's desk. They held Percy close, hushing the boy softly when he sobbed into their shirt. "It's going to be okay, I promise. You'll be okay."

"I-I'm so s-scared," Percy hiccuped, holding the person's shirt tightly. "I don't w-want to d-die!"

"You won't die," The person promised, brushing a hand through the six year-old's hair. "I'll protect you, Percy. Look at me, I swear, I'll protect you."

Percy looked up, his eyes filled with tears, but he looked relieved as he threw his arms around the person, "P-Peter!"

FIN.

Xxxxxxxxxxx

(Yes, I'm working on a sequel)

(No, I won't tell you when it'll be up)

(I don't know the answer to the either)

Words: 1,136

Song: idontwannabeyouanymore - Billie Eilish