Chapter 16

This chapter is dedicated to Na7a1ie! I hope you enjoy this! Sorry for the super long wait, I had some major writer's block!

-- Yuki :D

Xxxxxxxxxxx

Percy was quietly sitting in the Avengers' living room, drawing random little fish in a sketch book Steve gave him, when James and Tony came in. He gave them a big smile, setting his crayons to the side and waving at them even though they were coming over, "Hi, Jim Jam! Hi, Mr. Tony!"

"Hey, buddy," Tony ruffled the kid's hair, his own smile widening when he saw how happy he was. "James and I wanted to know if you wanted to go out in the city with us."

The young boy's mouth dropped open, "Out-Outside? For realisies?"

"Yeah," James grinned. "For realisies."

"Yay!" Percy jumped up and hugged the two men, a large smile gracing his features, "Let's go now! I wanna go now! Where are we going, Mr. Tony?"

"We're going out to eat," The billionaire answered. "So, we have to dress a bit nicely. JARVIS ordered clothes for you yesterday. Do you want to see what he got you?"

"Yes! I want to see what Mr. JJ got me! Mr. JJ is the best!"

"Mr. JJ?" James tilted his head, "Why's he Mr. JJ?"

Percy paused for a moment, his green eyes seeming clouded for a moment, before he smiled again, "Because!"

"Okay then," The soldier nodded, erasing the frown he got on his face at the kid's expression. It looked so... haunted... He and Tony exchanged a look as they watched the child run towards the elevators before following him.

The child was sitting on the floor in his room, listening to JARVIS tell him all of the color button ups he had in his closet, "Blue! Can I have blue, please, Mr. JJ?"

"Of course, young sir, it would be my pleasure." Dum-E rolled out of the closet (and Tony had to wonder when the robot even managed to get out of the lab) with a blue shirt gently held in his claw and he gave it to the child, who smiled widely.

"Thank you, brobot!"The child squealed before struggling with the buttons on the shirt.

Tony chuckled at what Percy called the robot and smiled to himself when he realized that he viewed Dum-E and the others as his siblings. "Here, let me help you with that."

Soon, the little six year-old was dressed in a blue button up and black pants, little black shoes on his feet that were comfortable for him. Tony was dressed similarly with a gray button up and a skinny tie, black pants and shoes to match. They were just waiting for James, who was looking through that many clothes in his closet, fascinated with having so many items when he used to have so little.

"You good?" Tony stood at the doorway, his eyes traveling to the open closet.

"Yeah, I just can't think of a shirt to wear," The Brooklyn soldier called out. "You can come in if ya want."

"Okay," The billionaire stepped inside and saw James standing in front of a line of shirts; all ranging from T-shirts to dress shirts. "How 'bout blue? You can match with Percy and it brings out the color in your eyes."

James blinked and looked at the Stark, who was looking at the suit jackets off to the side like they were the most interesting things there, "Thanks. Yeah, I'll go with blue."

When the two adults walked out of the room, they were met with Percy, who squealed happily when he realized that he and James were matching, "Yee, we wear blue together!" He grabbed James' hand and led him over to where he knew the cars were, the doors easily sliding open for him thanks to JARVIS. "Are we really going outside?"

The soldier looked down at the boy and smiled gently, "Of course. I told you; for realisies."

"Yes!" The small boy pushed Tony towards the driver side of the car when the billionaire just stood there, smiling at the two. Once he saw him reaching for the door handle, he scrambled over to the back seat, climbing in and buckling himself in his blue belt-positioning booster seat, "I so excited!" He kicked his feet happily, his limbs nearly touching the back of the driver's seat.

"I know, bud," Tony grinned, looking at the kid through the rear view mirror. "I'm excited, too."

"I can't wait to see what spaghetti they have at this restaurant," James commented, looking at the Stark with bright blue eyes.

The brown-eyed inventor held his gaze for a moment before he started the car, muttering a soft, "Me, too."

--

When the car pulled up in front of the restaurant, James was pleased to see that Tony had rented the place for the day for just the two of them. When he asked, the genius had said something about Percy and James not being ready to be in front of the cameras just yet. The six year-old needed time to adjust and there was still his step father to deal with.

"I want grill chehz," Percy frowned for a moment. When he opened his mouth again, he elongated the word, "Griiiilllllled cheeeeeese. Cheese. Yes."

James had to turn his head away before he laughed in front of the kid. It was just too adorable to see him like that, all focused on just getting one word pronounced right. He looked over again when Tony brushed his arm with his hand, gesturing for him to follow as he walked to a table overlooking a nice garden.

They ordered their food and the waitress, even though it was clearly not on the menu, came back with a grilled cheese sandwich for Percy. The food was great and they told funny stories to the child, who managed to get food going down his chin and a smile stuck to his face. If any of the adults noticed how their chairs seemed to be gravitating towards each other, neither mentioned it, even as their hands brushed together.