Chapter 14

Ever since Percy made the promise to James, the child was thinking of what his first words to the Avengers would be. He wanted it to be memorable, something they would remember forever.

He didn't account for Clint to ruin his plans.

All the Avengers, Thor included, and James were sitting in the living room and the Winter Soldier was giving him pointed looks. The man had yet to utter a single word since their exchange, waiting for the boy to make his move. It was nice to know he didn't treat him too much like a kid even if he was six.

So, Percy was perched on top of one of the couch cushions, attempting to braid Natasha's hair, when a rubber spider landed on his lap and he fell off the back of the couch, screaming, "SWEET HAMMER OF THOR!"

The room went quiet before James started howling with laughter, burrowing his face in the couch. Clint's eyes were wide as he held the bag of toys, looking at it and the spot where the kid was with wide eyes. Thor looked a bit confused as he looked down at Mjolnir but smiled at the compliment to his weapon. Captain Righteous looked a bit concerned for the child but was stifling a laugh. Natasha's lips twitched for a moment as she watched Bruce shake as he chuckled quietly to himself.

Tony just leaned back over the couch, looking at the kid, who was staring at the ceiling in shock, "Nice one, kid. That what you were aiming for?"

Percy's green eyes slid over to him and his face colored in embarrassment, "Not ex'ctly, no."

"Yeah, I figured. "Sweet hammer of Thor," huh?"

"Leave me to die."

"Percy," Steve moved to help the kid up, looking at him with wonder. "What made you talk today? Besides the spider."

The six year-old looked up at the super soldier with big eyes, "I made a promise with Jim Jam."

"Jim Jam?"

"Ah," James leaned forward in his spot, a grin on his face. "That would be me."

"He nicknamed you Jim Jam?" Tony smirked, crossing his arms, "Cute."

"Oh, shut up, Stark. You call Colonel Rhodes Corn Muffin."

"Point."

During the time the two adults were talking, Percy had climbed back up to his spot to continue attempting to braid Natasha's hair, eyeing Clint and the bag of toys with distrust. He pointed at the archer, "No."

"Aww," Clint deflated, pouting at the bag as he tossed it to the side. "Hey, anyone wanna go to the park?"

"Oo, me!" Tony waved his hand widely, grabbing James' and waving it in the air as well, "We do!"

"Then it's settled. To the park we go!"

"How does Tony's vote decided anything?" Steve asked curiously, not in a mean way.

"Cause he's Tony Stark," James rolled his eyes. "Duh."

"Right."

Percy was glad that they weren't making a big deal about him speaking. He didn't know if he could handle all of that kind of attention on him and the questions. He had been wanting to speak for a while but he was so nervous, he wanted to throw up. Sometimes, just the thought would send him to bed with nightmares because it used to be that speaking equaled a beating. It shook him to the core. But he made a promise to speak - for James. James had been through alot so Percy would speak if James would.

--

The Avengers, all dressed in civilian clothes (obviously), came with them to the park with some food, blankets, and a frisbee or two. Percy was walking between James and Tony, holding their hands and being swung by them. He gave an excited gasp when he saw dogs and children running around, "I wanna go play!" He ran off towards the kids, but not before hugging James and Tony and smiling at the others.

James helped set up the blankets with Bruce before sitting down, catching a juice box Clint threw at him. He looked over at Tony, who was face-down in the blanket, apparently already done with the outdoors. He grabbed the baseball cap on his head and placed it on Stark's, "You have a good kid."

Tony's reply was muffled but James understood it just fine, "I know."

Somehow, Clint had gotten Steve and Natasha to throw a frisbee with him and the archer quickly showed off his skill, impressing the kids near them. Captain Righteous, at some point, had to get said frisbee after Natasha tried to kill Clint with it. Bruce kept an eye on them like he was their father, silently reading a book in the shade.Thor was being used as a jungle gym as he amazed kids with his tales of Asgard, smiling with pride and waving Mjolnir around.

The group had a fun time at the park but it was time to go because Percy was getting tired and they hadn't really packed a lunch. When the child ran over, he started talking to Bruce about the friends he made, waving his little arms around.

The six year-old beamed excitedly, "Their names are Connor and Travis and they're pretty cool! Mr. Tony, can we go to the park again sometime?"

The billionaire's eyes soften in a way they only did for the kid and he nodded as the child grabbed his hand, "I don't see why not, kiddo. Come on, it's lunch time."

Percy nodded and turned back to the kids, waving. They waved back, grinning mischievously, before running off to play somewhere else. "M'kay, I'm tired. Jim Jam, carry me!"

James rolled his eyes dramatically, making the kid giggle, before lifting him up on his shoulders, snickering at the excited noise he made at being so high up.

Tony looked at them consideringly before he said, "I bet Hulk could lift you higher."

Almost as one, both Percy and Tony turned to look at the doctor.

Bruce sighed, "Tony, no."

The engineer grinned wickedly, "Tony, yes."

Percy giggled, "Tony, yes! I wanna play with Hulk!"

The scientist groaned, "Oh, God..."