XXXII. Poly-what?

Thursday, 31st May. Day 31.

I saw the light stream into my room before I felt the heat of the sunlight on my skin. I was tired but restless at the same time. I had spent the whole night worrying and thinking instead of dreaming about my wedding day like any other normal bride. But then again, there was nothing normal about the situation.

At 7am, I decided to get out of bed. Staring at everything and nothing and thinking too deep was starting to take a toll on me. For all I knew, my fear could be irrational but I couldn't really clear any of my doubts, could I? Maybe after the wedding...

Sighing heavily, I fixed myself a cup of coffee and some light breakfast as I couldn't think of something heavy in my stomach. As I stared at my plate and played with my food, my thoughts drifted to the near impending future. Would this thing even work? I was not going to spend 23 hours with Ezra anymore. I wouldn't be cuffed to him. I was no longer... dead weight. Shit, what if he got bored with me? What if his eyes fell on some rich heiress totally worth his standard? I scrubbed my face and willed myself not to think about it. God, please give me a happy ending. Please? I've had enough shit for seven lifetimes.

For two hours, I just moped around my apartment, trying my best not to think about the things that were on my mind anyways. At 9, I wore some jeans, a white top, a long gold leaf necklace and my favourite brown heeled boots. I dumped whatever I needed in my purse and left my apartment. This was it. The end. Or so I thought.

"Good morning, Clara." David gave me a huge grin and shook my hand. Something smelled fishy...

"Pass go and get married." Clive smirked and Ezra narrowed his eyes. Okay...

"Apparently, 'go' was something they couldn't mention in the beginning of all this." Ezra grumbled, still shooting daggers at Clive.

"Pray tell then, what is go?" I piped in and stood by Ezra's side, trying to will him to calm down. Clive and David gave each other knowing smiles before turning to face us and saying in sync.

"Polygraph test!"

My jaw dropped. Poly-what? Why did we need a polygraph test? We are supposed to be getting married, not confessing to some crime!

"Why?" I asked, my eyes moving to Ezra's on their own accord. He was still reeling from the shock.

"As I mentioned earlier this month, marriage has to be on the basis of true love. Marvin chose a polygraph test to get the truth out of you both."

"You are going to find proof of true love through a polygraph test?" I asked, completely mind-boggled. Not that I had anything to hide. I do love Ezra. But did he love me?

"Yes. And we will start with Mr. Copper." Clive grinned and ushered Ezra into the home office.

While they took the life-or-death test inside, I paced the hallway. I had nothing to fear. I was going to pass this test. I love him, damn it. Then why the fear? What if Ezra failed? No, he couldn't possibly fail; he needed the inheritance... My heels dug into the pristine tiles and I froze. Shit, he needed the inheritance. Not me. He didn't need me. Oh, God, he was going to fail this test. Not only would he lose his inheritance, I would lose him. But wait, he wasn't mine in the first place, was he?

But then again, he had a really good façade. But that didn't mean he could fake a polygraph test. I squeezed my eyes shut and tried to stop the train wreck of thoughts. This would work out. It had to. Oh come on, Clara. This was the real world. Shit like that doesn't happen. He wanted the inheritance.

Ugh. Even my mind couldn't take my side. Before I could go more crazy, the door opened and Ezra walked out seemingly pleased with himself. I took deep breaths as I walked over to him.