It Would Seem

"No, no, no!"  Rowan scrambled to stop the record, pressing stop and taking the reel out carefully. Oh thank goodness, the recording was fine. But, what on earth had caused that snap? She blew the dust out of the machine and slid the reel back in, but no button on the recorder did anything but make a hollow click. And for some reason Rowan found herself on the verge of crying. "Please, no..."

"I see you found it."

Rowan jumped at the unexpected voice, quickly looking behind her. There her dad stood, eyes dark. Rowan felt her throat tightening. Did he know about this? How did he know she would find it? Find this room? What on earth-?

"Your room," he finished.

Oh.

"You picked a good one." Her dad walked up, kneeling down next to her. He eyed the player with a childish curiosity. "A relic from the past! How cool! Ya know, I think Lynn's mom used to have something like this way back when."

"It just... Stopped playing."

He picked it up carefully, shaking it gently. "Sounds like a bad spring. Come on, we can take one off the old electric box."

Rowan sprung up, taking the box from her dad and following him downstairs. At least something fun came from this venture. As she went downstairs, she heard her mom talking to someone. Well, hopefully someone. Mom had a habit of talking to herself, but usually not at this length.

"... It is very kind of you. We were just going to order pizza or something."

"Well then!" Happily laughed another female voice. "It's a good thing I did bring this over! The first pizza place in the phonebook is quite dreadful."

"Would you like to come in?"

"Oh, no no. It's very kind of you, but I don't want to intrude. Actually, we would of left you to settle in, but my daughter Anne was so excited to meet your daughter! There aren't many older girls around here, so she was looking forward to making a friend."

Lynn turned and looked around behind her. "Well I'm sure Rowan is around here somewhere..." She took a deep breath and suddenly bellowed. Her tears as a teacher had not gone to waste. "Rowan! Come down here and meet our new guests! They brought us a dinner and everything!"

"One minute!" Rowan said back, poking her head out from the staircase wall. The entry way was much more crowded than earlier. Mom had set a crock-pot down on the nearest box, and was now beckoning Rowan over. There was another mother, and a girl standing behind. She looked like she'd be about Rowan's age.

Lynn glared at her. "Oh, don't be rud-"

"I got it!" Came Eugene's happy cheer. His head soon followed Rowan's in suit. "Sorry, we found a little relic up here. I've got go. Be done soon!" He poked Rowan's check. "Come on Ro, let's see if this works!" Both heads vanished around the wall.

"Forgive them," Lynn's voice grew quieter as Rowan and Eugene scampered away. "She takes after her father..."

Rowan sat down with her dad back in... Well, her room. He carefully opened up the back of the player. "Now, let's hope I got the right size."

Letting her dad do his thing, Rowan went back to surveying the room. Something seemed different. The stuffed animal was still there, but she could of sworn she saw something move. Maybe it was just the crow. Oh! The crow was back. She hopped up, walking to the window. The bird didn't seem afraid of her. Maybe she could pet it! She had always wanted to catch a bird for some reason or another.

"Got it!" Her dads second happy cheer distracted her. "That should work! Just, take it easy until I can find a proper replacement. And don't get anything wet on it."

"Alright, alright, that was once-" she turned around. But she stopped when she noticed someone in the doorway. "Oh, hello!"

But as her dad turned around the girl ran away; for some reason Rowan found herself following. Down the stairs she just caught a glimpse of the girl running out the front door, much to the apparent alarm of the two woman there.

"Oh!" The guest cried in surprise. "That was very rude of her! Nearly knocked me over! Please forgive my daughter's behavior Mrs. Irvine."

"It's alright, Mrs, uh, Whitebrook. No harm done."

"I'd best see what's gotten into her." Mrs. Whitebrook looked up and smiled at Rowan. "You must be Rowan. I'm pleased to meet you, even for just a while. I'll hopefully pop by tomorrow, once I get Anne straightened out. Goodbye!"

She walked out and Lynn followed her onto the porch. "How odd. Then again, I guess you do that sometimes too, Rowan."

"Who was that?" Rowan peeked out the door.

"Our neighbors," she sighed, looking at the crockpot of a delicious smelling stew. "Too bad you're on your diet, your father and I won't be able to eat this all. Can I make you a sandwich or something dear?"

A displeased Rowan quickly turned away. Of course mom would keep the diet going here. It was foolish of her to hope her ever-vigilant mother would forget. "No, I'll be in my room." She brushed aside her father and quickly ran up the stairs. She wanted to keep listening.

"Hey! What's wrong kiddo?" Her dad grabbed her shoulder. He was really the only one who understood her resentment.

Her face saddened. "I just miss being a kid, is all. I would love this place if I were younger, love the mystery of a strange girl running away after she saw a mysterious cassette player I found in a mysterious room."

"Hey, listen." His grip tightened on her shoulder. "I know you're not happy about this. I'm not either. But your mother wanted to move out of the city; we both know her health needed it, right?" He waited for Rowan to nod before continuing. "Sometimes things change. We all have to learn to grow up. And you still have that player, Ro. Hopefully there's more than just a kid singing on those tapes."

His kind and understanding smile usually would make the pain go away, but his words dug deep. Time to grow up. "You're already grown up," her mind yelled. "I understand," she said aloud. But she kept moving up the stairs, past the anxious looks and into the... Her room.

The player sat on the empty floor, waiting.

The sun sat behind the tree, casting shadows.

The crow sat on the windowsill, it's muffled caw strangely welcoming.

And Rowan sat, wondering what on earth she had uncovered. It would seem to be somewhat important to get that kind of reaction from that girl, at least. She hoped.

Be was that feeling really hope? There was just something about the recording...

***click***